Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Sweet Beulah Land

Regarding Zion, I can't keep my mouth shut, regarding Jerusalem, I can't hold my tongue, Until her righteousness blazes down like the sun and her salvation flames up like a torch. Foreign countries will see your righteousness, and world leaders your glory. You'll get a brand-new name straight from the mouth of God. You'll be a stunning crown in the palm of God's hand, a jeweled gold cup held high in the hand of your God. No more will anyone call you Rejected, and your country will no more be called Ruined. You'll be called Hephzibah (My Delight), and your land Beulah (Married), Because God delights in you and your land will be like a wedding celebration. For as a young man marries his virgin bride, so your builder marries you, And as a bridegroom is happy in his bride, so your God is happy with you. (Isaiah 62: 1-6) The Message Version

You'll soon be invited to the best wedding you've ever attended. Yes, it will be unlike any you have ever attended. All the delights of a wedding will be there, but more importantly you will be there and so will the Lord. This will be even better than the wedding we read about on Monday in John 2, because you will be at this one.

The prophet Isaiah shared a word regarding Zion and Jerusalem, meaning the people of God. And he shared a word of great excitement because the people of God finally understood their role and responsibility before God, and others were noticing it! God's glory was being seen through the righteousness of His people, and God was going to give His people a new name, they would become a "stunning crown in the palm of God's hand, a jeweled cup held high in the hand of your God." The old name of "Rejected" would not be God's Delight, and the land on which the would live would be called Beulah Land (Married), "because God delights in you and your land will be like a wedding celebration." Beulah Land is all about our marriage to the Groom (God).

The old hymn, first sung at a Methodist meeting on a Monday morning in Philadelphia, says these words in the Refrain:

O Beulah Land, sweet Beulah Land, As on thy highest mount I stand, I look away across the sea, Where mansions are prepared for me, And view the shining glory shore, My Heav’n, my home forever more!

The older hymn inspired a newer song with these words:

I'm kind of homesick for a country To which I've never been before. No sad goodbyes will there be spoken For time won't matter anymore.

Beulah Land (Beulah Land) I'm longing for you (I'm longing for you) And some day (And some day) on thee I'll stand (Someday we will stand) There my home (There my home) shall be eternal (Eternal) Beulah Land, sweet Beulah Land

We are called to live a light of such righteousness that we'll show the glory of God to all people; may it be so!

PRAYER: May it be so in my life today, Loving God; let my life let others know of the great love You have for me; may this help our homesickness for that land we've never been before, but hope to someday. In Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde