Thursday, January 14, 2016

Where God's Love Is, There is a Feast!

Image from systraph.com

God's love is meteoric, his loyalty astronomic, His purpose titanic, his verdicts oceanic. Yet in his largeness nothing gets lost; Not a man, not a mouse, slips through the cracks. How exquisite your love, O God! How eager we are to run under your wings, To eat our fill at the banquet you spread as you fill our tankards with Eden spring water. You're a fountain of cascading light, and you open our eyes to light. Keep on loving your friends; do your work in welcoming hearts. (Psalm 36:5-10 The Message Version)

When I first fell in love with God, I was at the age where two or three animal crackers, and a cup of Kool-Aid was a feast. It wasn't the food, but it sure was good, it was the feeling and joy of being in the presence of God and others like me who also loved God. We wiggled and we giggled, we laughed and sometimes Kool-Aid came out of our noses, and that made us laugh all the more; and I can't remember being scolded or shh'ed for it. It may have happened, but my spirit and mind were in another world.

When I fell in love and married my wife, there was a feast at the wedding, and again it was not the food nor the cake or peanuts, it was in the feeling and joy of being in the presence of God and the one God had provided for me. That feast has continued; lavish meals of peanut butter on one slice of bread when that was all we had, or the extravagant baked chicken that lasted for four days when we had splurged on that - not the food but the love of God in our hearts.

The psalmist knew God's love. It is meteoric and astronomical. God's purposes for us are huge and spans the width of any ocean, yet even in that vastness, God knows and cares for us. We can run and hide under God's wings. We can feast at the banquet(s) that God has provided for us and the drink of God's "Eden spring water" is that which satisfied our hunger and thirst. In that love, we are called to go and love and work and welcome all; everybody, no exceptions.

PRAYER: Thank You, loving God, for Your love for me and for the world. Help me to celebrate with joy all that You provide. Help me to work in love for You and Yours, being a loving and welcoming person. This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde