Monday, January 04, 2016

Jesus Gets Baptized!

As the people were filled with expectation, and all were questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Messiah, John answered all of them by saying, "I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased." (Luke 3:15-17, 21-22)

So many [people today seek answers and direction for their lives. The people during Jesus' day did as well. One of the most obvious question had to do with their personal sin. And to have a preacher come to the River Jordan and proclaim a release from that sin, the crowds lined up to receive what John was offering. As this passage begins, the people were so excited to hear his message some even wondered if perhaps John wasn't the Messiah, the anointed one of God. John perceived that notion in his heart and directly said, "I'm not the messiah; I am baptizing you with water, but the one who is coming is more powerful than I and he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His purpose is already at work in getting those who should be right with God lined up; and those who could care less, their line is ready too, and longer!

Then comes Jesus to be baptized as well; His act of identification with our situation as humans. As He comes up out of the water, the heavens open and a voice comes from the sky saying, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased." A declaration not heard by many, but the One who needed to hear it heard it. It was confirmation for Him that He was indeed the Son of God, sent precisely for the job for which He was preparing.

Such is the love God has for you that His own Son, Jesus Christ got in the sinners line, though He was without sin. Jesus never lorded His position or power over those for whom He had come. Jesus simply says, I am one of you and understand you. Sin has no business being in your life, and I have come to rid the world, and more importantly, to rid you of your sin. There can be no better news for any of us!

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for understanding me and for loving me enough to rid my life of my sin. Thank You for Jesus and His ministry and redemption of the world. In His name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde