Thursday, October 13, 2016

Better Than Home Cooking!

Image from dreamtime.com

Oh, how I love your law!    It is my meditation all day long.  Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,    for it is always with me.  I have more understanding than all my teachers,    for your decrees are my meditation.  I understand more than the aged,    for I keep your precepts.  I hold back my feet from every evil way,    in order to keep your word.  I do not turn away from your ordinances,    for you have taught me.  How sweet are your words to my taste,    sweeter than honey to my mouth!  Through your precepts I get understanding;    therefore I hate every false way.  (Psalm 110:97-104)

When one of my nephews was younger, we asked what he would miss most about leaving home.  "Will it be home cooking?"  I asked.  "Let's see," he replied, "I'll miss Luby's, Sonic, Kentucky Fried Chicken..."  We got his point and laughed.  When I went away to college I went to a tiny town in East Texas that had Sonic, KFC, and the Pitt Grill.  And of course, the school's cafeteria.  I looked forward to trips home to enjoy home cooking.  Of course, I may be of the generation that was spoiled by a stay-at-home mom, later a working wife, who still found time to cook our meals; but you can't tell that by looking at me!  ;)

The psalmist loves the word of God and in the Message version changes the "sweeter than honey to my mouth," to "better than home cooking."  I pray that is not an outdated term for you.  God's loving instructions for our lives should impact us in a sweet, but powerful way.  It is a moment by moment guidance system; it is deep instruction that blesses our intellect and our decision-making, and moves us ever towards wisdom.  It monitors our steps in positive ways, away from temptation and destruction.  The only problem is our picking up the word of God and making time to read it.  Nellie and I are still on our plan to finish the Bible in a year and with the setbacks we've had in the last few weeks have missed a few days and lat night as soon as we drove in from San Antonio, sat at our kitchen table and did our reading.  There is nothing like it.  It blesses us and blesses those for whom we pray.

Make time today to read a passage or two from God's Holy Word - It'll bless your life in an awesome way.  Don't believe me?  Look at the picture above and imagine eating that sometime today.  It'll beat that!

PRAYER:  Loving God, we are a blessed people for having personal copies of Your Holy Word.  Help us not to take it for granted.  May we truly seek to be blessed in the way Your Son David wrote in today's psalm.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have and great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde