Monday, October 03, 2016

We Should Thank God at all Times, for all Things

Image from vimeo.com

On the way to Jerusalem Jesus was going through the region between Samaria and Galilee. As he entered a village, ten lepers approached him. Keeping their distance, they called out, saying, ‘Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!’ When he saw them, he said to them, ‘Go and show yourselves to the priests.’ And as they went, they were made clean. Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. He prostrated himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him. And he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus asked, ‘Were not ten made clean? But the other nine, where are they? Was none of them found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?’ Then he said to him, ‘Get up and go on your way; your faith has made you well.’ (Luke 17:11-19)

Dear friends,  this has been a rough week for Nellie and I; as most of you read, our niece, Nellie Ann Rodrigue died yesterday afternoon.  Nellie was home ill, I had just finished our first Cloud Charge Conference in Fannin, Texas, and as I got word I was starting a called charge conference in Seadrift, TX.  The text got to me as I needed to start the evening's meeting.  I went to the altar and just prayed for God to give us all strength.  This morning as I awoke I read another text letting me know that our dear friend, Herman Gorena died last night at 10:15 p.m.  I needed this text and the one found in The Upper Room, 2 Timothy 1: 11-12: For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him.

In all things, we thank and praise God.  These ten lepers confined to living together among the dead, for the law prevented them from contact with the living, knew that they could find new life in the one called Jesus.  Fearful to approach Him, they called to Him and asked for mercy.  They knew that Jesus would know exactly what they were asking for, and the received this strange command:  "Go and show yourselves to the priests."  The priest was the only one who could declare them cured and able to reenter society.  I might have been one who might have thought, "Huh?  Do what?"  But as they turned towards the priest, every step brought them into the fullness of life.  Yet, it was only one, and he a Samaritan, who turned back and praised God with a loud voice and falls at Jesus' feet and thanks Him.  Jesus blesses him and sends him on his way saying that his faith had made him well.  Jesus does ask, "Weren't there ten who were healed?  What happened to the other nine?  None of them thought to thank God except this one?"  And Jesus says this to the healed Samaritan.  

We thank God for His presence always with us.  Life happens with what it may bring, and we still should say, "Blessed be the Name of the Lord."  We lose loved ones, we cry, but we should still find it in our hearts to say, thank you, dear God, for Your promises shared by our Lord, Jesus, who speaks to us about life beyond this life.  Blessed be Your Name.  God will and does provide for our comfort as He does for our healing.

PRAYER:  Heavenly Father, we thank You and praise You for all things; for we know that in all things we can find You and find that which You offer to us.  Our prayer is that You bring comfort to any and all who mourn at this time.  I pray Your peace be with those who loved and cared for Herman and Nellie Ann.  Bless those who are reading this and have their own special needs and requests.  Be gloried, loving God in us.  May our gratitude be evident at all altitudes; in our highs and in our lows.  In Christ Jesus' precious and strong name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde