Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Running the Race While Keeping the Faith

Image by a family photograph

As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing. At my first defence no one came to my support, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them! But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and save me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory for ever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18)

In my childhood, it seemed we ran everywhere we went.  Times were different and we could run all over Kingsville if we wanted.  The only place where we could not run was in church.  "Muchacho, ¡no corras!" was said so often to me it seemed like part of the Apostles Creed.  Along with that of course, came the warning not to get our Sunday best dirty.  I still remember the spankings for violating that commandment.

Living the Christian faith is a race, like the Apostle Paul calls it.  The challenges that come our way are the hurdles, opportunities that come for us to share our witness are those extra miles that we get for just being in the race.  And he modeled a life of faithfulness and fruitfulness.  He loved every opportunity he had to share Christ with everyone. And then the day came when he wrote these parting words.  He saw his life being poured out as a part of a worship sacrifice, and he had no regrets.  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  And then he looked forward to what was coming next.  Jesus was so real to him that he feared nothing, but anticipated everything.  He knew he had a place reserved in Heaven and that he would also gain a crown of righteousness.  His assurance was also the fact that in all things, Jesus was right by his side and even as the unknown would soon present itself, Christ would be there as well.

You and I have much to do; the race is not over.  We have to stay faithful and fruitful in all things.  We have much to share with a world that needs God more than ever.  We have neighbors who have seemed to have forgotten what it is to love one another, or how to have compassion on those who are lost or hurting.  May it not be said of us, dear friend, that we cared more about ourselves and our immediate circle of family and friends more than those whom we know represent Jesus in our midst.  Christ is with us; He will share with us the words at every opportunity as we seek to make His love known to all.

PRAYER:  Loving God, help me model my life as one who will never give up either the race nor the faith.  Pour out Your love in my heart that I may be like You, Christ Jesus; my Lord and Savior in whose precious name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde, whose granddaughter, Eliana B. Garcia is shown above in one of the many 5Ks that she runs in!