Thursday, May 11, 2017

Be brave. Be strong. Don't give up.

Image from pinterest.com

 I run to you, God; I run for dear life. Don't let me down! Take me seriously this time! Get down on my level and listen, and please - no procrastination! Your granite cave a hiding place, your high cliff aerie a place of safety. You're my cave to hide in, my cliff to climb. Be my safe leader, be my true mountain guide.  Free me from hidden traps; I want to hide in you.  I've put my life in your hands. You won't drop me, you'll never let me down.What a stack of blessing you have piled up for those who worship you, Ready and waiting for all who run to you to escape an unkind world. You hide them safely away from the opposition. As you slam the door on those oily, mocking faces, you silence the poisonous gossip.  Blessed God! His love is the wonder of the world.  I panicked. "Out of sight, out of mind," I said. But you heard me say it, you heard and listened. Love God, all you saints; God takes care of all who stay close to him, But he pays back in full those arrogant enough to go it alone. 24 Be brave. Be strong. Don't give up. Expect God to get here soon. (Psalm 31:15, 19-24)

If you had your choice, goes the question;  would you live by the ocean or the mountains?  This was one of many topics Nellie and I had with our daughters.  And it is now one that we enjoy with our grandchildren.  Of course, they ask, "Disney World or Disneyland" and it just goes from there.  The first question is not a trick question nor do I know any psychological implications of either answer.  It does make one think about the beauty and benefit of both settings.  "If we lived by the ocean, there might be hurricanes!"  Yes, but when there are no hurricanes, there is that calm sound of waves lapping onto the shore.  "If we lived on the mountains, it might snow a lot and not allow us to leave for days."  Yes, but when the weather is clear, the air is crisp and wonderful; and bluer blues we don't see from lower altitudes...

The psalmist knew the mountains.  And he writes with their benefits in mind.  God was everything safe and inviting about the mountains (And I'm not taking the side of mountains necessarily in this devotional!), and he writes about the blessings and benefits of trusting God and hiding in Him.  God's presence was for him a place where he could hide away from the pressures and strains of the world in daily life.  "You're my cave to hide in, my cliff to climb."  How many times as a boy did I think I might discover a new cave (Yes, even in Kingsville!  ha) where I could go and hide?  After school my friends and I would run to Ragland's, a long closed department store that is now the King Ranch Store; for it had a one-way escalator.  We would run to the store, ride the escalator (we were really climbing in our minds a mountain!), then run down the stairs, out the door and run home.  I was well on my way to knowing God for Who God is in my life now; "Be my safe leader, be my true mountain guide.  Free me from hidden grasps; I want to hide in You.  I've put my life in Your hands.  You won't drop me, you'll never let me down."  Still to this day I believe and count on this.  Read the verses following as well; God does bless us as we worship Him; always ready to receive our prayers, our fears, our hopes; always ready to love us.  And no better way to close than with "Be brave.  Be strong.  Don't give up.  Expect God to get here soon."  Amen!

PRAYER:  Loving God, we seek to hide in You during times when we feel alone, scared, worried, or overwhelmed.  We trust in You and Your love.  Let those times be times of blessing that will lead us away from those stressful times and things to a life truly lived in abundance.  For those thinking they are scared, give them strength.  For those feeling weak, make them strong.  For those thinking of giving up, grant them courage to continue on.  We all expect You to be at our side soon.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Don't give up!

Eradio Valverde