Monday, May 15, 2017

Jesus Invites Us to Abide with Him

Image from agnusday.org

‘I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunesto make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. (John 15:1-8)

I don't know if it was because they were around old people, but something prompted a conversation between Caleb Eradio, 7, and Eliana, 4; our grandchildren.  The conversation part I heard went something like this.  Eliana:  "Caleb, when we get older I'm going to live with you."  Caleb:  "No Eliana, when we get older I have to live with a different girl."  Eliana:  "No, I need someone to take care of me."  Caleb: "When we get older, our parents die, and you live with a son."  Eliana: "I don't want a son, I want my Daddy!"

For our four year-old, who she lives with at this point is very important.  In her mind, she is content and happy right where she is, and rightly so. She is well provided for, she is loved; she has lots of toys and a big brother and little sister with whom she can play with; life is good, thank God. She cried after that little conversation and Caleb calmed her by winking at Grandma and telling her she could live with him when she was older.

Jesus continues his prepare for the future talk started in John 13, when He revealed He would suffer much and die in Jerusalem.  That set off most of chapter 14 and now he speaks of where they disciples should live.  Remember these 12 men left family and home to be on the road with Him.  His invitation was to stay with Him in spirit.  "Abide in me as I abide in you.  Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me."  Hear these words:  "I an the vine, you are the branches."  Jesus speaking of our need to stay connected with Him always.  There is no better place to live than staying connected with the Lord.  Nellie and I have been married 39, almost 40 years.  It's safe to say we abide in each other.  Trips away from her I cannot stand; nor can she (or at least she tells me that! But I believe her!).  But Nellie and I abide in the Lord, and the blesses our abiding in each other.  Almost everything we do is done to stay connected with Jesus and with each other; and that makes the rest of life easier to face and love.  Our abundant living comes from that connection.  Together, the three of us; Jesus, Nellie, and I, can do great things.  Next time you reach for a grape still connected to branch, remember that grape would not be in your mouth had it not been part of a branch, nor the branch would not have produced it had it not stayed with the vine.  You and I are vine people joined at the heart with Jesus; connected, we can do all things for God's glory!

PRAYER:  Loving God, Vine of us all; gather us in closer to You and to each other; may we seek to live as vine people, connected to You to do all things for Your glory.  As branches joined to You as our Vine, we will not fall, nor fail; for in You we find all that we need.  We love You and praise You in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Hold on to the Vine!

Eradio Valverde