Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Yes, You Are a Priest!

Image from tcnwa.org

Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God’s sight, and like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in scripture:‘See, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.’ To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe,The stone that the builders rejected has become the very head of the corner’, and A stone that makes them stumble, and a rock that makes them fall.’They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. (1 Peter 2:2-10)

I wear a cross necklace almost all the time.  It's either inside my shirt or I display it on the outside.  It is a daily reminder of Whose I am and serve.  I say, "I love you, Lord Jesus" as I put it on; for it is a sign of the mercy I received through that cross and the cost of great love given to me by that sacrifice upon the cross.  And I sometimes wear black shirts.  So, last night Nellie and I went to Sam's Club to buy needed stuff for the house.  We saw an item that would be a great thing for the home and we stopped and looked at the display card of the item.  Nellie asked if I wanted it.  I said not at the moment.  So we shopped and, write this down for the history book, we bought only one item for under nine dollars.  We walked out of the store and Nellie said, "If you wanted to buy that item, now might be the time for it."  I thought about it, walked to our truck and I said, "I guess you're right," as I loaded the one purchased item into our vehicle. We walked back, got the display card, walked over to the self-service counter, paid for the item, walked to Member Services as we did not see anyone at the podium (Sam's is complicated).  "Now for the joy of standing in line at Member Services" I tell the wife.  But, no one was there. The man said, "You want a refund?"  No, we just bought this.  "Oh, go back to the podium."  There was no one there, thinks I, and walk back to the podium  (I tell you it's complicated).  But as we near the podium so does the woman working there.  I hand her the display card and receipt for the item and she says, "We don't sell these; they sold out.  You have to go back to guest services and get a refund."  (Did I tell you Sam's is complicated?  Frustratingly so?)  As he finishes giving us our money back, he asks, "Are you a priest?"  I smile and said, "No, I am a pastor."  "What church?" he asks.  I smile and say, "Well, actually I'm in charge of many churches; I am a district superintendent for the United Methodist church of this area."  He smiled as he had started to cross himself and said, "That's nice."

And this morning I read this passage that reminds me that I am a priest.  And so are you.  The ancient word for priest is pontifex, a Latin word meaning bridge; a priest was considered the bridge between God and humanity.  And what Peter is claiming is that those who believe in Jesus are part of "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that we might proclaim the mighty acts of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."  This is not complicated like Sam's.  It simply says we should live our lives as those who point out He who has brought us a new life and a new hope.  I remember in seminary hearing this verse in this new way and the professor stressing that we were indeed, all part of this priesthood of all believers.

Are you a priest?  The answer is yes.  The real question then is, Are you living as a bridge between God and others?  Do you offer the hope and joy that is ours because of Jesus?  I would hope yes would be your answer.  My morning started yesterday sharing hope with the cashier at our favorite taqueria and a promise that I would pray for her.  Sometimes, that's all you have to say to someone; I am praying or I will pray for you.  And as you walk away you say a simple silent prayer in your mind and heart, "Lord, bless this dear person and what s/he is facing; in Jesus' name, amen."

PRAYER:  Lord, we are honored to be a part of a royal priesthood.  We are so grateful to have been shown mercy that we want to show mercy to others.  Grant us the courage to live as those who bridge the chasms between You and those who do not yet know you.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.  Be a bridge!  It's not complicated!

Eradio Valverde