Sunday, October 15, 2017

Confess and Refresh

Image from Blessedmag2.wordpress.com

Praise the Lord! O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures for ever. Who can utter the mighty doings of the Lord, or declare all his praise? Happy are those who observe justice,who do righteousness at all times. Remember me, O Lord, when you show favour to your people;help me when you deliver them; that I may see the prosperity of your chosen ones, that I may rejoice in the gladness of your nation, that I may glory in your heritage. Both we and our ancestors have sinned;we have committed iniquity,have done wickedly. They made a calf at Horeb and worshipped a cast image. They exchanged the glory of God for the image of an ox that eats grass. They forgot God, their Saviour,  who had done great things in Egypt,  wondrous works in the land of Ham, and awesome deeds by the Red Sea. Therefore he said he would destroy them— had not Moses, his chosen one, stood in the breach before him, to turn away his wrath from destroying them. (Psalm 106:1-6, 19-23)

This is the Psalm that remembers the text from yesterday, Exodus 32:1-14.  It is a call to give thanks, to confess, and to be refreshed in the Lord.  It is a collective confession of the nation's sins, as well as personal sins; a remembrance of things that should not have been done, but still it gives thanks for God having changed His mind.

A dear friend from the Valley responded on Facebook to my post there with my ConCafe.  He remembered the calf as well, and he shared how the calf represented to him today, those things that can take the place of God.  It is quite a list, and one that does, as it should, step on our toes.  I would rather have stepped on toes than face an eternity without God.  What things take the place of God in your life?  Is it a sports team?  A diversion that you place ahead of worship?  Your family?  Anything, or anyone, that takes the place of God has become that golden calf in our lives and does not deserve to be there.  If you're honest and think and pray about it, nothing created can take the place of the Creator.  If you list all the great and awesome things that God has done in your life, anything else will pale in comparison.

Confess that God is Lord of your life.  And refresh in the knowledge that God blesses us with wonderful blessing.

PRAYER:  LOVING GOD, I confess that at time, golden calves have been on the throne of my heart.  I repent of those and ask that You take Your rightful place there.  Let me be refreshed in knowing that You have made all things new, including me.  Be glorified in this day, for it is Your day; here in my heart, in my family, and in Your church, for I ask these things in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Have a great day worshiping God.  Go to church even!

Eradio Valverde