Monday, October 16, 2017

Render to Caesar

Image from agnusday.org

Then the Pharisees went and plotted to entrap him in what he said. So they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, ‘Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and teach the way of God in accordance with truth, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality. Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?’ But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, ‘Why are you putting me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the coin used for the tax.’ And they brought him a denarius. Then he said to them, ‘Whose head is this, and whose title?’ They answered, ‘The emperor’s.’ Then he said to them, ‘Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.’ When they heard this, they were amazed; and they left him and went away. (Matthew 22:15-22)

No one maintained a better separation of church and state than the Jews, especially when it came to the Romans.  The Romans were Gentiles, they were seen as unclean and unfit to rule holy land, and they held Israel as an occupied land.  To top matters off, the Romans demanded a strict tax.  No one opposed the payment of taxes than the religious leaders of the Jews.  They saw the tax as a form of idol worship, for Caesar was seen as a god among his people, so to pay taxes to a god other than YHWH was considered a sin.  The Pharisees led the charge against payment of taxes, and the Herodians, though loyal to Herod and the rulers, were against Jesus, so these two groups conspired to trap Jesus.  Their question, framed first as a false compliment, "Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and teach the way of God in accordance with truth, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality.  Tell us, the, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, nor not?"  Jesus saw through their malarky and malice and asks to see a coin used in payment for the tax, and this was the denarius.  Jesus asks, "Whose head is this, and whose title?"  The answered, "The emperor's."  I love the old King James reply,"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."  This shut them up for a bit.

The question today goes deeper into our situation particularly in our country; where is our deepest loyalty?  To the USA or to God?  A lot of people see our country moving further into a nationalistic state, where our country can do no wrong, and leave God out of the equation.  Honestly, we have been this way since our country was established, and for years, sociologists and theologians talked about the civil religion of the United States, and how it fights Christianity for the place of true religion.  But let us go beyond religion to relationship; where does your loyalty lie?  I love the USA, but I love God more.  I seek to know how I can best be a good citizen while not sacrificing my stance as a good Christian.  When you and I are called to stand before God, the question will not be: Were you a good American, but where did your loyalty and demonstrated loyalty lie?  Were you Christ-like in your dealings with others, especially those downtrodden and neglected?  Remember a few chapters after this encounter, in Matthew 25:31-46, Jesus spoke of the judging of nations, each individual will be asked how we lived our lives alongside those in need.  Jesus says the sheep will be allowed entrance into heaven:  “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”

Render therefore unto God, the things that are God's.

PRAYER:  Heavenly Father, forgive me for misplaced loyalties.  I seek to love and serve You above anything or anyone else.  Grant me wisdom to serve You and Yours.  Help me to bless those who are hungry, thirsty, the strangers, the naked, the prisoner, and the sick.  Let my life be a surrender to You in ways that glorify You.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be prepared to render unto God that which belongs to God.

Eradio Valverde