Wednesday, October 18, 2017

God Knows Us by Name & Goes With Us

Image from pinterest.com

Moses said to the Lord, ‘See, you have said to me, “Bring up this people”; but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, “I know you by name, and you have also found favor in my sight.” Now if I have found favor in your sight, show me your ways, so that I may know you and find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.’ He said, ‘My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.’ And he said to him, ‘If your presence will not go, do not carry us up from here. For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people, unless you go with us? In this way, we shall be distinct, I and your people, from every people on the face of the earth.’  The Lord said to Moses, ‘I will do the very thing that you have asked; for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.’ Moses said, ‘Show me your glory, I pray.’ And he said, ‘I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim before you the name, “The Lord”; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But’, he said, ‘you cannot see my face; for no one shall see me and live.’ And the Lord continued, ‘See, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock; and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen.’ (Exodus 33:12-23)

There are times we don't want to be known or seen.  Nellie and I went to a megachurch in Corpus Christi some years ago and after parking in a huge lot, walking a long way, entered into a dark worship space that was like walking in late to a movie.  We slipped in and just as easily slipped out.  There was no greeting of our neighbor or passing the peace.  And, there are times we do want to be known and seen, especially when we feel we need God's blessing or help.  In a highly visible position such as Moses held, he wanted God to know him and be with him daily.  The stress and pressure of that awesome job of leading God's people away from slavery and into a new country, and a new relationship with God was at times more than he could stand.  Moses could, as can we, cry out to the Lord.  We can petition the Lord to be with us and help us with what we're facing, as did Moses.  It's clear that God cared for God had said to Moses and Moses repeats it here, "I know you by name, and you have also found favor in my sight."  And Moses asks that God go with them or else leave them right where they were.

In the same way, God knows us by name and by need.  We can talk with God and seek to listen to Him.  We can be honest with God and share with God our worries and troubles; God will respond and God will guide us.  As you go about your day today be honest with God and ask what it is you've been wanting to ask.  Ask to know not only God's favor, but God's glory as you seek answers to questions, and solutions to challenges. God is faithful and just.  You may just be totally amazed.

PRAYER:  Loving God, bless me with Your favor.  Bless me with signs of Your glory was I seek answers to what I need to do.  Guide me deeper into faithfulness.  This I ask in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Take the step towards trusting God more to help you today!

Eradio Valverde