Friday, October 13, 2017

God Knows Where You Are

Image from pinterest.com

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved. I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.Yes, and I ask you also, my loyal companion, help these women, for they have struggled beside me in the work of the gospel, together with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:1-9)

Last weekend in Dallas, we went to a Barnes and Nobles to find birthday gifts for our little ones.  The first one to get a gift was me as I walked into the store, on the right, on the bargain table was a book called, "When God Winks at You," for $7.98.  I picked it up and read the first few pages and decided it was a book that Nellie and I would read to each other right before bed.  Last night's little story blew us both away.  It goes with that which Paul writes above as encouragement to his fellow workers in God's ministry.  It was a story about a man who traveled the country in two buses with his family entertainment act.  They traveled about 50,000 miles per year going to churches, schools, most on the back roads of America.  On this day, Ken Gaub was feeling tired and confused about what he was doing.  They were on I-75 somewhere near Dayton, Ohio.  Like most of us, he wondered if he was in the right place, doing the right thing.  Both buses communicated with CB radios, and the drivers decided to pull off the Interstate and eat lunch.  Ken told the family he was going to stretch his legs by going on a walk.  He walked past a gas station and an empty phone booth.  Suddenly, it began to ring.  He stopped, looked around and the phone kept ringing.  He started to walk way.  He paused again and thought, "What if it's for the gas station attendant?  Maybe it's an emergency."  He stepped into the booth and said a reluctant hello.  The operator said, "I have a person to person call for Mr. Ken Gaub."  "What?" asked Ken, who looked around for Candid Camera crews that surely were hiding somewhere taping this.  They were trying to make him look silly.  "Calling Ken Gaub," said the operation.  "You're crazy," he said, once again doing a 360-degree look for a camera.  The operator was now less patient, "Is this Ken Gaub?"  "Yeeess..."  "I have a person to person call for you," sounding more like an impatient teacher scolding  child.  "I believe that's him," sad another voice on the phone - a woman's voice.  He thought that if it was a setup it was very clever.

The woman said, "Mr. Gaub, I saw you on a TV show, The 700 Club," she was very nervous, "I'm Millie.. I live in Harrisburg...and...I remembered your name and wrote it into a letter I was writing... a suicide note..."  The woman started to cry.  "You don't know me...but I'm desperate ... I remembered you... and a phone number came into my mind to call you.  Thank you so much for taking my call."  Ken knew this was no joke, and asked, "How did you get this number?"  "I don't know.  It just came into my mind, while I was writing.  Is this your office?  In California?"  "Ma'am, my office is in Yakima, Washington, but that's not where I am."  "Where are you?" she sniffled.  "Millie, you called me.  I'm in a phone booth at a gas station in Dayton!"  "What are you doing there?"  "Answering the phone," he said with a chuckle, beginning to enjoy the experience.  And for the next few minutes they talked, and Ken assured her that the Lord was watching over her, that her worries were only temporary, that turning to God was the only answer.  In Him, she would find peace.  They said goodbye and Ken sat on a stone wall by the gas station contemplating the power of the godwin that he and Millie had just experienced.  He wondered, was this a message of hope for her, or a message of hope for me?  And he made that his prayer to God.  Across the driveway he saw his wife and the others coming out of the diner.  Ken yelled to his wife, "Barb!  Hey! God knows where I am!"

And God knows where you are.  God never forgets you nor does God ever abandon you.  God will see you through all you are facing.

PRAYER:  Loving God, we may never understand Your ways, but we sure enjoy them especially when we can't explain them.  Bless this dear reader in an awesome way today that reminds him or her that You know where they are, and You're blessing them in a special way.  I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Don't look around for cameras, it's God who knows where you are!

Eradio Valverde