Thursday, October 05, 2017

Words and Thoughts; Are They Enough?

Image from pinterest.com

The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours forth speech,and night to night declares knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard; yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In the heavens he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy,and like a strong man runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hidden from its heat. The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the Lord are sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is clear, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is pure, enduring for ever;the ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover by them is your servant warned;in keeping them there is great reward. But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless,  and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. (Psalm 19)

The last sentence of this psalm has always intrigued and blessed me.  I was happy to hear an internet preacher say that his uncle, who was a preacher as well, would say this every Sunday before his sermon.  The nephew thought it was something written by the "higher-ups" who expected him to say it before the sermon.  It wasn't until the young man began to study the scriptures that he understood that it was from this psalm and the beauty and power behind it.  But, before we get to the end, let's start at the beginning; Nature is beautiful, and it is like a choir singing the praises of God and God's handiwork.  The words nature speaks come out each day, and at night, it is knowledge that the creation shares with all.  It is intended for those who know the Lord and seek to know Him better.  Today's Upper Room devotional is about a young woman caught up in her busyness and worries that one night her dad called her outside just to see the stars.  It was then she realized she needed to slow down and take a moment to admire the stars and all that God created. Their song is one she needed to hear; and it is the song we perhaps don't hear often enough.  The psalmist also takes time to speak of God's law and how perfect it is in reviving the soul, making all wiser in knowing it. Deep respect for God helps us understand their power and makes our lives better.  Remember yesterday's devotion and how the Ten Commandments were written to put us in a better relationship with God and with each other; that brings peace.

Then the closing request; Loving God, because of what I read in your Word and what I know to be Your law, help my mouth share out that which blesses others.  Let the thoughts deep within my heart be those of love for You and for all; for You are indeed, my steadfast rock and my everlasting redeemer.  I can think of no better way to start a sermon or a day.

PRAYER:  Loving God, as I go forth this day, bless me in ways that bless others, especially You.  Let me take in that which I have read in Your word, and let my thoughts and words be all about You and Your love for us.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Let your words bless someone today.  Build them up!

Eradio Valverde