Sunday, September 16, 2007

TRUE FASTING


Good Lord's Day everyone. I trust this will find you preparing or already prepared to enter the Lord's House with thanksgiving and praise! Or relaxing after having spent the morning worshiping God and learning more about Him!
Here is our study guide for today:Sunday: Isaiah 58, 59, 60Isaiah 58 contains a powerful statement on fasting. Rewrite 58:6-7 in words to fit your time and place.
Prayer Time: Let us pray daily for God to stir the church so it will have a message for our time; and let us pray daily that our generation will be prepared to hear God’s word.
Here is the recommended passage in Today's NIV: 6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Fasting is taking our focus off physical nourishment and placing that same energy and attention to the spiritual. It is a way of saying to the Lord, I can live on Your word rather than just on food. It is an act of worship and humbleness, and one that is sadly overlooked by so many. Yet, Isaiah says the kind of fasting God wants is the kind that gives up oppressing others, to work for justice, overcoming those barriers and thinking that keeps others down and away from true fullness of life. True fasting involves a turning away from ourselves and looking towards others, and that includes our giving so that the hungry will have food, the homeless will find shelter, and the one needing clothes will be clothed. This is true fasting.
PRAYER: Loving God, I am so good about taking care of me that often I forget You have lovingly called me to care for others. Help me be a person of true fasting so that I can give and live as I should. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.