Monday, January 12, 2009

FRIENDS AND FORGIVENESS

Gracious Lord, take the hand of this gracious reader and help him/her stand in wherever they find themselves or in whatever they're facing; in Jesus' Name, amen.

Good day dear friends.


We're still going to the movies! Yesterday's sermon was on, yawn, BrideWars. No, I did not see it nor will I. It has a great title and the theme was on friends and forgiveness. I told the congregation that having gone through three weddings and having officiated at more than my share of them, to see it would be a reality show and I'm not much into those! Our text was Jesus' response to Peter's question/declaration of needing to forgive 7 times. Jesus replied, "Seventy-seven times" or some versions have Jesus saying, "Seventy times seven." (Mt. 18:21-22)

Several in the congregation learned the text message abbreviation of "BFF." For those cellular challenged, that stands for "best friends forever." I shared my definition of a friend and then we talked about what we do if our friends violate what the definition shares or if they trespass against us. The answer of course, if that we have two choices: Live with the pain, anger, guilt, weight, burden, baggage, etc. of NOT forgiving, or forgive and move on. Neither is easy, but one robs you of your life, the other allows you to move forward and enjoy the fullness of life. I also shared how about Dick Tibbits, author of "Forgive to Live" (http://www.forgivetolive.net/) was invited down to San Marcos to speak to pastors on the issue of forgiveness. His life came to a radical change when his BFF fired him from his very nice job as second-in-command of a huge hospital. Dick discovered he was dying because of all the weight he carried because of his anger and his unwillingness to forgive. He saw countless doctors who could not figure out what was killing him until one asked if he had forgiven his former BFF. Once he did, Dick's life changed.

We must realize that we are called by God to be loving and forgiving people. We need to forgive even those who have died and we pray gone on to glory. We need to release them of the anger we might be carrying towards them and release ourselves from carrying the baggage they left us holding. This could be a parent, spouse or ex, child, relative, neighbor, friend, etc. It's YOUR call! Choose life and forgive!

PRAYER: Lord, I am the first to confess that forgiving is hard. Most times I'd rather wallow in my anger and pity for myself, but I know that that's not to what I was called; I am called to life and to live as one who loves. Free me from my anger towards whomever it is, and release me to live as one who loves and forgives. I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Eradio Valverde

Study Guide for today for further reflection:

Colossians 3:13-17 says a lot about forgiving one another. Please find this passage and let it fill your mind, soul, and spirit with what God would have you receive.