Tuesday, January 13, 2009

LOVING ENEMIES


Gracious Lord shine down Your strength on this dear reader; may this day be a day of great blessing. In Jesus' Name, amen.

Good day dear friends.

As we pray for each other today, please lift up two persons as they face surgerical procedures this morning: Isis Hernandez, our church secretary/receptionist, is undergoing surgery here at Harlingen Medical Center; and Susan Heard from Houston, is undering a procedure to remove fluid from her lungs. These sisters need our prayers. Also, a prayer of recovery for Marcus Phipps, our music director, as he recovers from back surgery at Valley Baptist Hospital.

The theme for this week is forgiveness and the Apostle Paul had a 'word' on that: Romans 12:20-21 finds him saying, "20 No, "if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

How difficult it is to forgive those who trespass against us. Those who usually do we move from the Friend category to the Enemy category. And as sad as it is to think there are those who do consider us their "enemy," it is doubly sad when we consider someone an "enemy." The word "enemy" comes from the word "enmity" which means to hold deep-seated hatred. Wow, that's pretty serious, to hold one so hateful that we place them in that category. It was one thing to be ignored by some as I grew up, but when I went away to college and encountered those who hated me because of the color of my skin, that was another thing. Two of my classmates, and I use the word loosely, for these boys dropped out; but their joy and pleasure in life was to hate me for my having been born different from them. I considered them not as enemies, but as those that I avoided but prayed for. I was sad that they didn't come to know the real me nor I the real them or the persons they could have been.

But Paul says for those who hold deep-seated hatred for you, if they're hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink. Imagine that! The person our "enemy" would least expect assistance giving them aid and keeping them alive. Paul adds that by our doing so we are "heaping burning coals on their heads." That may be true, but our motive and purpose in helping is because though someone may hate us, we are called to love everyone. It's not easy, for some people are just plain unloveable, but it is the calling we have from God. As Paul concludes, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

PRAYER: God of eternal forgiveness, forgive me for having thoughts against others. Let me truly be a person who loves even those who could care less for me. Let me be a servant of Yours motivated by only love. When I see someone in need, let me give of myself and what I have because I love. I thank You for the model of Jesus who loved even those who killed Him. And it is in His Name that I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Study Guide:Leave it to Paul to have at least one "word" about this topic. If you find Romans 12:20-21 you’ll find that word. What does it say to your life?