Thursday, January 22, 2009

GOD'S LOVE AND OUR FAITHFULNESS


Loving and eternal God, shower this dear reader with that which s/he needs, in Jesus' Name, amen.

When I attended seminary I was in my twenties, as were most of my classmates. I lived in a dorm filled with 20 yr. olds. So, in Old Testament class as we were introduced to the story of Hosea I can still hear the snickers of the young as the story is told of a prophet ordered by God to marry a woman of ill repute. To make matters worse, this woman of the night was named Gomer. It hadn't been too many years before that the name Gomer brought to mind someone else. For those too young to remember, the show on television was Gomer Pyle USMC, and it was a spin-off from The Andy Griffith Show. (You might have to visit YouTube.com to search for clips of either show to remember). But God's point was this: Israel, the people of God, was living their life as a nation not unlike this woman. She, the nation, would go off with any other god. Israel was unfaithful and did not know how to live her life as faithful to God. Yet, God said, and this from verse 19 of chapter two: "And I will take you for my wife forever; I will take you for my wife in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love, and in mercy. 20 I will take you for my wife in faithfulness; and you shall know the Lord. "

Unfaithfulness in a marriage is perhaps one of the greatest, if not deadliest crises a couple can face. Most couples choose to separate and divorce after such an encounter, and bibilically, it is supported. But God tells the unfaithful nation that in spite of their ways, He is still their's. Their relationship would be built on righteousness and justice, "in steadfast love, and mercy." For us as individuals and couples, ours is to understand God's love and receive it, enjoy it and live it in all areas of our lives. "Not Easily Broken," the movie title and the theme for this week, is built on such love and mercy.

PRAYER: Loving God, grant me love and wisdom to faithfully live my life in all my relationships, especially my relationship with You. Grant to me a witness that I can share about You so that others may receive. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

-------------------------------PRAYER UPDATE AND REQUEST--------------------------------------------
Michael Callway, for whom we had been praying died Tuesday morning and his memorial service will be tomorrow at 10 a.m. in our church. Please hold Alice, his wife and their children and grandchildren in prayer. Also, please continue prayers for Peggy Underwood of Boulder, Colorado; she goes today to visit a radiologist for possible treatment of her cancer. Marcus Phipps our music director continues to recover at home and we continue to ask the Lord grant him full recovery from back surgery.