Monday, January 26, 2009

LIFEBOOK


God of the universe and of the individual, bless and protect this dear reader in all that is coming before them today. In Jesus' Name, amen.

We concluded our sermon series on "Let's Go To The Movies" by looking at the premise behind "InkHeart." From what my daughter Nellie Garcia says, it's a great book. The movie was okay, slow at the beginning and ends really well. The thing I liked most about it was the ad above the box office window, "Every story ever written is just waiting to come to life" or something along those lines. We applied that yesterday to the stories found in The Holy Bible.

From page one to the maps, we can find God speaking to us about our worth in His eyes, the power of faith and prayer, the awesomeness of God's abilities to see us through any and all circumstances of life; and it all boils down to a simple fact: We must read The Bible. I showed or tried to show a video about Bible facts and the reality is that most people on the street know little to nothing about the Bible. Could someone name the disciples of Jesus? No, but he could name the 7 Dwarfs! Could someone name four books of the Bible? No, but knew five or six different coffee drinks. And on and on. In sharing with some I made the comment that we are so biblically illiterate that our children, and in some cases, adults, might not know if something is a "Goliath task" or we feel like we're in the "belly of a fish." Eden as paradise place might not be known by folks just by the mention of the word. Being in the lion's den also might not register. And on and on.

God knows all our excuses; we must commit ourselves to overcoming them and just making time to read as we should.

PRAYER: Loving Father, thank You for your Word. Forgive me the times I prefer to read something other than The Bible. Today let me begin to make The Bible my lifebook. I can only do it with Your help and presence in my life. I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde