Wednesday, January 07, 2009

OUR DAY OF PRAYER


Gracious God smile down lovingly upon this dear reader who is your servant. In Jesus' Name I pray, amen.

Good day dear friends. Today is our day of prayer. I know, everyday should be a day of prayer, and they are, but this is that day we can set aside as the most serious and most blessed of days in which to pray. We chose Wednesday for where it falls. It's midweek for so many, having Sunday start the week is a great day, then comes Monday, which not so many people like because it's the start of the work or school week. Tuesday is an okay day, and Wednesday marks that day when we can see the weekend again! Now, not everyone subscribes to that point of view, so bear with us! Especially because we've been talking about how precious time is and what we make of it. How will people remember us when it comes to discussing the "dash" between the years of our birth and death. So, here is a sample prayer to pray sometime today, if not now:

Loving God of all the years, I thank You for walking every inch of the way with me. You've held my hand and even held me up when some of the days brought waves of sorrow or confusion or challenge and I found myself not strong enough to stand on my own. You've wiped away many a tear from my face, both of joy and of sorrow. What I ask now is that You help me in my journey. I don't want to know how much longer I have, I just want to make the most of each step, of each moment, of each encounter I have with others. Let me truly be a person who brings a smile and a joy to each person as I seek to serve You. Give me peace, give me patience with those who have already judged me and are not ready to receive anything from me other than a quick goodbye. Let me love even them.

I thank You for those dear ones in my life. My family and those that I count as family. My friends and those I count as friends. Bless and protect them I ask. Make their lives count too. I pray a blessing on those still wondering and wandering, who have not yet found You and wonder their purpose in life. If I can help in their journey, please show me how.

I pray for those hurting and saddened by disease and illness. I pray for their complete and total healing. Bring to them joy and peace. I know there are those who are awaiting the departure of loved ones because of the ravages of cancer and other diseases and time is so precious and fleeting, so be there in their midst and share with them exactly what they need; the hope and peace of a life that does not end with death because of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Comfort and use me to comfort those who mourn.

Again, thank You for being my God and parent. In Jesus' precious and powerful name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde
STUDY GUIDE: Our midweek day of prayer. May we pray for the Lord to make us more aware of how precious time is. Ask God to help you understand the changes you should make to better live your life.