Monday, May 04, 2009

THE BACKPACK OF DOUBT


Gracious Lord, strengthen and bless this dear reader in all that may before her or him today. In Jesus' Name, amen.

From Matthew 11:28-30 in The Message version of the Bible we find these words, ""Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. 29 Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 30 Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." You might remember the original (for us)King James: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. "

I shared yesterday about the weight of my daughters' backpacks. They knew school was fast approaching when we would go in mid-August to buy them all new backpacks. We knew to get strong, sturdy packs that could carry the weight of the books, notebooks, pencils, pens, calculators, etc. The first few days of school for most were light days, but after about a week or two, the weight of each backpack was almost impossible for such tiny girls to carry, but they would. I would often pick them up at school and offer to carry their backpack and almost regreted doing so at the heavy burden they were.

Our just concluded sermon series on forgiveness centers on these very things. We carry needless burdens. Yesterday I preached on how there are in most of us, at least five unneeded backpacks that we carry. The first one is the backpack that carries Doubt. Can you find the verse that says God created us to be constantly in doubt? Is there a hymn or praise song that praises doubt? It's not in this hymnal, perhaps the new hymnal in 2012 might have one, but I pray not. But I can think of one that speaks right to the heart of our doubt; it's called "Blessed Assurance." The words reflect the belief we have that God desires to replace your doubt with security. Being safe and secure in the arms of God keep us from wandering down the path of doubt and insecurity. Reread the above passages and see if that's not exactly what Jesus desire to do. Write down the doubts in your heart and then turn it over to Him. See if He won't replace your doubt with security immediately.

PRAYER: Lord, your Spirit moved one to long ago write exactly where I find myself at times, "weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care" and I realize it is too much for one person to carry, especially when I realize I don't have to carry it at all. So, again with the word of the hymn writer I say, "Precious Savior, still our refuge," as I take it to the Lord in prayer, remove my burden of doubt and help me believe and be secure in my beliefs. In Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde