Friday, May 01, 2009

BEING HONEST AND COMPASSIONATE




Lord of life, shine Your light upon this dear reader on this day. Bless and strengthen his/her path. In Jesus' Name, amen.

Jesus said, "and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." (John 8:32).

The last of the HEART principles for leadership is "Tell me the truth with compassion." In our dealings with folks, we should seek to be truthful and compassionate. Our prayers should be that God would give us the right words at the right time. How often you and I have been told bluntly things that we know are true, but done so in such a way we found no compassion. The principle for today says that in our dealings we should deal honestly with one another and not hide that which is true and relevant. And all should be done with that component of love that is so important, compassion. To have compassion means we share with the other person a passion for life and seek to share in all things especially that which means that we sometimes suffer together. To have compassion means we have thought about how the truth will affect the other person and we seek to share that with them in a way that blesses the both of us.

The other day someone posed a difficult question: "Have you ever worked with someone with B.O.?" For those who do not know what those initials stand for, they represent "body odor." The answer is, sadly, yes. "How did you deal with it?" Distance, I replied. They laughed. I knew it was not the answer they were looking for, but to be honest I still do not have an answer. I have to admit I am not one to tell someone that truth, compassion or not. In our family relationships we rarely hesitate to share honesty, but again, are we praying about how to face that day with truth and compassion? In our work relationships the same question applies. I never thought that my being honest with my coworker about using deodorant or some sort of body spray would be the compassionate thing to share. The thing we did say to one another in that conversation was, "Well, if ever I do come to work smelly, please tell me!"

In matters of life and church business, being truthful is the standard. And to be truthful and compassionate requires our trusting God's Holy Spirit to be present and to be guiding us to share that which builds up the Body of Christ.

PRAYER: Loving God of all answers, speak to my heart today with truth about me. And if I find myself in a situation where I have to speak the truth with someone, first let me feel and know how the truth will affect that person and give me the words I need so that in all dealings we may be honest and compassionate. I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde