Tuesday, May 19, 2009

THE MIRACLE OF A NEW YOU!


Loving God bless the needs, calm the fears and use this dear reader today. In Christ's precious and powerful name, amen.

I have always loved the movies. I blame my Mom for that love. She loved the movies and she and her sisters would attend a theatre that I wish was still standing, called La Carpa (The Tent). It was, and I'm using footage in my mind, a amphitheatre structure made of concrete and the roof was awning, thus the name. They showed Mexican movies in it. One night she took me as a little boy of about four, to "Love Me Tender" a movie starring Elvis Presley. I'll never forget that my dad stayed home with my newborn sister, Sylvia. I know this because halfway through the movie my dad walked into the theatre with Sylvia because she needed her diaper changed. Mom had to leave the movie to change her, then come back. She helped comfort this four year old who really thought Elvis had died as he had in the movie.

Later on, every Saturday was movie day for me and my friends. The challnge came when my Mom would ask, "Why don't you take your brother?" By now the luxury years of being the only child and the big brother of one, were over. My family kept growing and I was still the big brother, but now to two brothers and two sisters. My closest brother in age was five years younger and just at that point where he too could "play outside,' he wanted to hang around with me and my friends. What did he know about the adventures and great conversations about life we were having? And why would we want to take this kid with us on our walk to the movies? Most days I could get away with saying, "No, he'll only be in the way!" She understood that, but sometimes she didn't or wouldn't and I would have to take him. Some years later I was working and making my own money and she would insist that I not only take him but pay for him as well. To this day that boy owes me a lot of money.

The first four chapters of Acts include many miracles that can be summed up in this way: When we truly yoke with Christ and allow His Holy Spirit to live and work in us, miracles do occur. They're recorded in the pages of Acts. The miracle of boldness in our positive sharing about our faith in God. The miracle of hearing God's Word in new and exciting ways. The miracle of transformation. The miracle of healing. The miracle of fellowship. The miracle of sharing. All examples of God taking us away from the way we are or like to be, to the place where we need to be. I shared on Sunday how all children are born with a need for self-preservation thus their knowing very early the meaning and need to use the word, "mine!" In some adults that is never removed and they grow up as selfish, self-centered old folks, and they wonder why no one really likes them, even their children. The miracle of Pentecost was the miracle of God opening and operating on hearts in a way that made them new, joyful and thankful. I thank God for my family and I enjoy time that I get to spend with them all and I know it is the result of God working in my heart and help mold me into the person I know I should be.

What miracles need to happen in your life? Have you asked God to take you to the place you know you need to be?

PRAYER: God of life-changing moments and power, change my heart to one of pure love. Help me overcome old biases and prejudices and self-centered thinking. Make my heart new and help me be the person you called me to be. Let me truly be a person of love towards all. Let my life be seen as a miracle! I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! (Yes, yesterday's same closing was in Czech).

Eradio Valverde