Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hold On To Your Faith!

2 Timothy 1:12 It's also the cause of all this trouble I'm in. But I have no regrets. I couldn't be more sure of my ground - the One I've trusted in can take care of what he's trusted me to do right to the end. 13 So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It's as sound as the day you first heard it from me. 14 Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us. 15 I'm sure you know by now that everyone in the province of Asia deserted me, even Phygelus and Hermogenes. 16 But God bless Onesiphorus and his family! Many's the time I've been refreshed in that house. And he wasn't embarrassed a bit that I was in jail. 17 The first thing he did when he got to Rome was look me up. 18 May God on the Last Day treat him as well as he treated me. And then there was all the help he provided in Ephesus - but you know that better than I. (The Message)

Very few churches today still have or use, a board similar to the one pictured above. This one is from Wesley's Chapel in London and it is a Hymn Tune board. It was used to identify the hymn that would be sung as well as the tune that would be used. I had an associate who loves to choose a hymn and then announce, "But we're going to use the tune of Amazing Grace to sing this hymn." It worked, and people liked it. In a few of my churches in this district there are these boards but they reflect those who came to church the previous Sunday, or two, as well as how much offering was collected during worship. The first time I saw that it reminded me of my boyhood church and how it was used during my days there as a boy. It was a reminder of my faith and I wondered how many of us who saw that board kept the faith. I know that many of the saints have gone on to glory; my godfather and very recently, my godmother, have gone on to Jesus. I wondered how many of my friends from that time have continued to walk with Jesus and to worship God on a regular basis. Could they say, "I'm in that number up there from two Sundays ago."

Paul wants Timothy to know that even though he is in prison and in chains, he has no regrets. In fact, Paul was even more sure of his faith because of the "trouble" than before. His faith was stronger and he was more sure that God would take care of him and provide like never before. I wonder how many of us would run out the door if trouble came looking for us? Would you be willing to be arrested for your faith? And would there be enough evidence to convict? Paul was, and there was in his case. Timothy hears Paul saying, "This is a precious thing, this faith in Jesus, guard it and never abandon it." Sadly, Paul lists that "everyone in the province of Asia deserted me," and lists the names of two who especially saddened Paul in their decision to flee. But he lists one who stayed faithful until the end, and encourages Timothy to be among those.

I pray that our faith be made stronger by the trials and challenges that come our way. Jesus never promised an easy walk with Him. But He did promise to be with us, even to the end of time. Can we make and keep that promise to Jesus as well?

PRAYER: Loving God, strengthen my faith in the good times so that when trials and challenges come, my faith be made stronger. I pray for those who are now going through tough times that they might hold fast to You and the love You have shared with us. Let us in all times be a blessing to You, I pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde