Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Living All Out for Christ Jesus!

2 Timothy 3: 10 You've been a good apprentice to me, a part of my teaching, my manner of life, direction, faith, steadiness, love, patience, 11 troubles, sufferings - suffering along with me in all the grief I had to put up with in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. And you also well know that God rescued me! 12 Anyone who wants to live all out for Christ is in for a lot of trouble; there's no getting around it. 13 Unscrupulous con men will continue to exploit the faith. They're as deceived as the people they lead astray. As long as they are out there, things can only get worse. 14 But don't let it faze you. Stick with what you learned and believed, sure of the integrity of your teachers - 15 why, you took in the sacred Scriptures with your mother's milk! There's nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another - showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. 17 Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us. (The Message)

It's been some time since I heard or read the phrase, "all out" in the sense of giving it your all or having exerted oneself to fully participate and hopefully win. As a child I only had two speeds, All Out or Come Inside. In all my play it was all out. If we played war, we fought all out as if we were really in danger of being killed or really killing the enemy. If we were spys, we went all out in finding out secrets and plotting missions. If we rode our bikes, again, it was all out. If we ran races or played football in the street, all out. It wasn't until Mom called and said, "Come Inside," that I tuned it down. Come inside meant a time to eat and rest. Paul is encouraging Timothy again about his serious call to pastor this church. Paul knows that God has given Timothy the gifts and graces to serve God faithfully and fully, but Paul reminds Tim that it's not all fun and games. There would be risks and there would be times of opposition, but Tim was witness to the face that in all of these, God was present and God had the last word. For all believers, verse 12 is key: "Anyone who wants to live all out for Christ is in for a lot of trouble; there's no getting around it." Through this, Paul says, stay with what brought you this far. What you believe you learned from great teachers, from your Mom and from your grandma, and from all who have taken time to teach you about Christ Jesus. Then a plug for Scriptures: "There's nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. And the verse many of us have learned and been blessed by, "Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another - showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped for the tasks God has for us."

The more time we spend with God in God's Word, the better prepared we are for living a life that gives God witness and glory. We learn Truth and even truth about ouselves and that helps us correct ourselves to that we may live in the way that God wants. Time with the Bible prepares us for the jobs we've yet to do for and with God.

PRAYER: Loving God may this time we spend with You and Your Word truly prepare me for the tasks ahead today and tomorrow. Remind me that I am never alone, You come with me and You are the One who rescues me just in the nick of time. May I truly be shaped for what I need to do; this I pray in Christ Jesus' for myself and those who labor with me. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde