Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Keep the Fire Going!

2 Timothy 1:1 I, Paul, am on special assignment for Christ, carrying out God's plan laid out in the Message of Life by Jesus. 2 I write this to you, Timothy, the son I love so much. All the best from our God and Christ be yours! 3 Every time I say your name in prayer - which is practically all the time - I thank God for you, the God I worship with my whole life in the tradition of my ancestors. 4 I miss you a lot, especially when I remember that last tearful good-bye, and I look forward to a joy-packed reunion. 5 That precious memory triggers another: your honest faith - and what a rich faith it is, handed down from your grandmother Lois to your mother Eunice, and now to you! 6 And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed - keep that ablaze! 7 God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible. (The Message)

We finished 1 Timothy! We look now to study 2 Timothy, long considered a "last will and testament" of Paul, but others see it as a letter of encouragement to a timid preacher. I pray that we find in its words encouragement to us and the work that is ever in front of us. My grandson Liam's favorite song is "Baa, We're Lambs," by the Apologetix, a Christian parody band. They've taken the music and style of "Barbara Ann" and made the song a cute Christian one. His second favorite, by the same group, is "Smooth Grandmama," a parody on "Smooth Criminal" a Michael Jackson song. But in this song, the group pays tribute to grandmothers who take and share their Christian faith in an effective way. Lois, is one of those "smooth grandmamas." For it was her faith that blessed and reached Eunice and together they shared and blessed the life of Timothy with the faith. One of the stanzas in that song reads, "Granny's not an old maid, She's a zealot, with a bold faith; She's a kind-hearted widow, and she bought you, a Nintendo, last week. You came into her apartment, left the mud stains on the carpet, And then she ran into the bedroom, she was knelt down, it was for you. Granny likes to crchet, and corquet, and quote Dear Abby. Granny causes road rage, in slow lanes, she's no Andretti, Granny's got the whole day, to go pray, for all her family. You've been hit, you've been struck by, a smooth grandmama." I knew only my dad's mom, for my mother's mom died when my mother was eleven years old. Momo, as we called her, was indeed like her name, Petra, a rock of faith. She came into deeper faith by an invitation by a neighbor to join their quilting circle at El Buen Pastor Methodist Church in Kingsville. That invitation blessed her life, her son's, her grandson and all of us. It was a faith ablaze, a sure conviction of all that she had been taught, and like the other song says, "It only takes a spark." Imagine what a blaze can do!

You and I have that same faith as Lois, Eunice, Timothy, and Paul. The question is, what are we doing about it? Whose life have we blessed because the fire in our souls would not let us rest until we shared it with someone?

Get busy!

PRAYER: Loving God, for the Loises, Enices, Petras, Timothys, and Pauls of the world, we give You thanks. We are especially thankful for the people whose blaze of faith touched and blessed us. We pray that we too, might with Your help and guidance, bless someone today and all days. You know better than us, that we need "to get a fire going." May it be so. We pray in faith and in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde