Wednesday, October 03, 2012

What is Your Affirmation of Faith?

1 Timothy 3: 14 I hope to visit you soon, but just in case I'm delayed, I'm writing this letter so 15 you'll know how things ought to go in God's household, this God-alive church, bastion of truth. 16 This Christian life is a great mystery, far exceeding our understanding, but some things are clear enough: He appeared in a human body, was proved right by the invisible Spirit, was seen by angels. He was proclaimed among all kinds of peoples, believed in all over the world, taken up into heavenly glory.

"What was it you remember your loved one saying over and over?" This is a question I asked family members immediately after the death of a loved one. It gave me the chance to get to know the loved one a little better as well as to see what sort of impact the deceased had on the family's life. There were some very powerful testaments of faith, and there were some zingers that were not sharable material from a pulpit. What would your family say about you? What is it that you say over and over about your faith in God? Or do you even say anything like that? When it comes right down to it, what sort of affirmation of faith have you shared thorugh your life and words with those around you? An affirmation of faith is important for it tells about what you believe in God. We have our standard Apostles Creed, Hispanic Creed, Korean Creed, among many, but what is yours? In this passage, Paul is sharing with Timothy one that could be considered an affirmation and one that Paul would like him to teach in the church. It doesn't appear as one in this version, but in the NIV it reads, "He (Jesus) appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angles, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory."

I've been thinking of mine and I've tried to teach, perhaps not in a credal form, God is always with us; we should always pray, God hears our prayers, God is love, and in all things God has the final word. A creed should be memorable and should share Who we believe God to be and who we are in relation to God. It affirms and strengthens our faith. And it should for our family as well.

PRAYER: Lord, let every aspect of my life be an affirmation of faith. May it speak of my love for You and Your love for me and for all. May I be a teacher today to those around me, of that creed that I have. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde