Sunday, October 28, 2012

What Percentage Are You In?

2 Timothy 4: 8 All that's left now is the shouting - God's applause! Depend on it, he's an honest judge. He'll do right not only by me, but by everyone eager for his coming. 9 Get here as fast as you can. 10 Demas, chasing fads, went off to Thessalonica and left me here. Crescens is in Galatia province, Titus in Dalmatia. 11 Luke is the only one here with me. Bring Mark with you; he'll be my right-hand man 12 since I'm sending Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 Bring the winter coat I left in Troas with Carpus; also the books and parchment notebooks. 14 Watch out for Alexander the coppersmith. 15 Fiercely opposed to our Message, he caused no end of trouble. God will give him what he's got coming. 16 At my preliminary hearing no one stood by me. They all ran like scared rabbits. But it doesn't matter - 17 the Master stood by me and helped me spread the Message loud and clear to those who had never heard it. I was snatched from the jaws of the lion! 18 God's looking after me, keeping me safe in the kingdom of heaven. All praise to him, praise forever! Oh, yes! 19 Say hello to Priscilla and Aquila; also, the family of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus stayed behind in Corinth. I had to leave Trophimus sick in Miletus. 21 Try hard to get here before winter. Eubulus, Pudens, Linus, Claudia, and all your friends here send greetings. 22 God be with you. Grace be with you. (The Message)

This marks the end of the study on Timothy's letters. Paul eager to hear God's applause for what he has been able to do, though he would be the first to admit it wasn't everything he wanted to do, but he knows God's an honest judge. What's sad are the verses that details who's gone where and who's doing what. It's an early peek into church life even today; a few do the majority of the work, and the majority can be counted on to do little to nothing in most cases. Paul lists them by name (Imagine your name in Scripture as a quitter? Yikes!). Demas, ran after some fads, leaving Paul without warning. Crescens is in Galatia and Titus in Dalmatia, leaving Luke as Paul's only assistant there, but Paul does tell Tim to bring Mark with him so that Mark can be Paul's right-hand man. Tychicus was being sent to Ephesus; and don't forget to bring my winter coat! And the books and the parchment notebooks. What a treasure those things would be if found today! Then a warning about a coppersmith who has opposed the Gospel. Paul is certain that God will "give him what he's got coming." Then Paul sadly shares that no one stood by him during his preliminary hearing. Everyone ran like scared rabbits. Yet, Paul knows Jesus stood by him and helped him in the spreading of the Good News, even rescuing him "from the jaws of the lion!, " which means he was spared death in the Colosseum. But Paul ends the letter on a very positive note: God's looking after me, keep me safe in the kingdom of Heaven." God deserves our praise, our praise forever. Then greetings to loved ones, and a final benediction of peace and grace.

I pray the words Paul wrote have helped your faith, for Paul wrote with his certainty of faith to a young believer, who faced and would face many trials. God shared the means for Timothy to be blessed and in turn, you and me. I pray you would be in the percentage of those who, regardless of what others may do, do your fair share and more, just so that others may live.

Stay faithful and run the race. Stay the course and help others, knowing that God is always with us.

PRAYER: Loving God of mercy and truth, bless and protect this dear reader in all that is before Him. The prize is ours already, but we run eagerly forward to help those who feel like giving up. Help us to stay strong in You, we pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde