Thursday, March 26, 2015

Palm Sunday's Star

Read Closely!

From the 118th Psalm, verses 19-29: Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the Lord. This is the gate of the Lord; the righteous shall enter through it. I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Save us, we beseech you, O Lord! O Lord, we beseech you, give us success! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord. We bless you from the house of the Lord. The Lord is God, and he has given us light. Bind the festal procession with branches, up to the horns of the altar. You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God, I will extol you. O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.

As David wrote the psalms, some were for his immediate needs, some were honest reflections of his heart, and some were prophetic in nature, such as this one. Though he imagined himself as entering these gates, when applied in the context of history, we see who this truly applies to; Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Yes, David loved the Lord, and he loved going to worship, but he recognizes that the gate to which he is referring is that gate in which Jesus entered triumphantly on that first Palm Sunday. Jesus entered with righteousness to a city desperately in need of that. Jesus entered the city offering salvation, which all people need. Jesus seemingly was rejected, but we know now and proclaim Him as the chief cornerstone of our faith and existence. And all of this is God's doing, and a marvelous thing to behold. Some Sunday to your church and watch the gleam in any child's eye as she or he walks down the aisles waving a palm branch. There you will the marvelousness of which David speaks.

Then the verse so many of us recite or regret as we awaken each day: (Clue: Rejoice!) This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (I would add an exclamation point!). Our needs still continue, we need saving from so many things that we are facing. We desire victory and success over that which seeks to overwhelm us; but look to the One whom David mentions: Blessed is the One who comes in the name of the Lord (Clue: Jesus Christ!). Let us bless God by our acceptance and faith in Christ Jesus.

PRAYER: You are my God, and I give thanks to You; You are my God, I extol You. Let me join all who say: O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever. AMEN!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde