Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Mind of Christ; the Heart of God

Humility and Love at the Core of Servanthood & Discipleship

From Philippians 2:5-11: Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross. Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I struggle with what finds its way into my mind. I sometimes find myself thinking thoughts shaped by shows I've seen or music I've heard. And this is even sometimes in church when my mind should be focused solely on God. Paul knew that struggle as do many of you, so he writes, as much for himself as for you and me: Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus. Can you imagine? Better yet, can you possess that same mind? A mind that sought God first in all things and in all decisions and actions? A mind that loved all people, who saw needs and beyond needs to the heart of true need; the need to feel and be loved by God, so much so that He, as Paul continues, "emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness."?

This is humility with empathy, servanthood with obedience and compassion to all of God's creatures. It is what is seriously lacking in so many of us. A mind that puts others and their needs first; leaving behind thoughts of wealth and fortune, glamour and fame. A mind that says, Here I am, Lord, use me. Those who say such a thing humble themselves before the One who can exalt and lift up.

I love the closing of this passage as a clarion call to all believers, "so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend (bow), in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Much yet to be done to get every tongue confessing that instead of what's driving other things to come out. I want to be counted among that number who now confess and pray that Jesus is Lord. It takes the mind of Christ to say that.

PRAYER: Loving God, grant to me the mind of Christ. Help me cleanse myself of thoughts impure and unsure; strengthen my mind to holiness and humility. Grant to my heart new founts of love to love everyone as You have loved me. This I pray in the strong name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde