Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The New Covenant

Image from surprisingjoy.com

The Day is Here! Know God!

From Jeremiah 31:31-34: The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt—a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other, "Know the Lord," for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.

We couldn't wait! It was what we talked about for days and though we knew it was coming, it couldn't get here soon enough! Apply that to your life and you may know exactly what day I'm talking about. For some, it was your graduation day. For others, it was the coming of Christmas. For some others, it was your wedding day; the birth of your first, third, or fourth child. For the prophet, it was the coming of a day when God would "make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah." It was unlike other covenants, including the one that led to their freedom from slavery, which the people broke. This covenant speaks of a living law written upon the hearts of God's people; where we would truly be God's people and God would be our God.

That day was the coming of Jesus, Who came, taught, healed, suffered, died, and rose again. Jesus spoke the truth of the love and grace of God and still writes in those hearts open to Him: You are mine, and I am yours. The day is soon coming when all people shall know the Lord and not need instruction about Him and His teachings; that day brings with it what Jesus offers to all who would receive: Forgiveness of our sins and the forgetting of those same sins.

Not all aspects of that day have been put into place. Our job remains to bring others into that knowledge of God's saving grace; but what better invitation than "God saves us from ourselves, our sins can be removed and forgotten if we but just turn them over to Him?"

PRAYER: Lord, let me be a part of those who share those good news. Write upon my heart the words of life and love, and let me be bold in sharing them. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde