Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Drama Unfolds...

Glimpses of Purpose in Prophecy

From Isaiah 50:4-9: The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty? All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

Sunday begins the drama of Christ's Passion for us. The seemingly joyous entry into Jerusalem sets the stage for the greater good that would come but with great cost and pain for Jesus. Our worship services will probably feature a parade of smiling children swatting palm branches, proud and glad parents elated that their child is part of that happy parade, and these bless our hearts; but we know the story in the Bible is one of great preparation for the event coming on that Friday. And God shared in this passage glimpses of that purpose. Much of Jesus' ministry was that of being a teacher unlike others. He taught with authority, He taught through parables and stories. He demonstrated a love from God not yet seen in the ways that Jesus used. God gave Jesus a listening ear, to hear us and our weariness. God gave Jesus that which saw Him through the painful descriptions mentioned here: Being struck by different people, having His beard pulled; facing those who insulted and spit on Him. Through this all, God sustained Him, and did not allow for Jesus to be disgraced nor to shame. Ultimately, who that came to inflict pain and shame was able to stand against He who defeated death and sin?

Jesus stands with the weary. Jesus comforts the afflicted. Jesus gives hope and life to those who seem to have lost both, and Jesus gives to us the words to join Him in listening and sharing those same things with those in a world of hurt and pain.

At the start of a meeting last night, the chairperson shared how one member not yet present, had lost her husband suddenly and unexpectedly to a stroke. The chair cautioned the group against making the meeting about this woman and her situation. The woman arrived shortly thereafter and the meeting proceeded fine. I was asked to pray and as I prayed I started to hear her sobs. When the meeting ended the woman was in pain and great sorrow. I embraced her and shared from Jesus' words in the gospel of John. I pray that that word might have sustained this woman whose world changed so unexpectedly and so quickly. She is but one of so many, who need to hear from us what God shared through Jesus.

PRAYER: Gracious Lord, make real the hope and joy that comes through You in Jesus. May this season of Lent truly be a time of preparation for the greater good that comes in Resurrection. This I pray in Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde