Monday, March 16, 2015

We Wish to See Jesus!

Photo from http://fumc-mccamey.blogspot.com

May It Be that Christ is Seen in Us Today

From John 12: 20-33: Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor. "Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—"Father, save me from this hour'? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him." Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die.

A simple request resulted in a profound reflection. The city was full of visitors, including those believers (Jews) from other countries; the town was a buzz with rumors and stories of Jesus and Jesus' power and teachings. Among those affected by these stories were some Greeks who approach Philip with a request, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." This set off a chain of command of sorts, with Philip telling Andrew, and Andrew and Philip both go to see if Jesus would see these Greeks. Jesus' response was directed at the time that was rapidly approaching. Jesus spoke of "the hour," and that "for the Son of Man to be glorified." He speaks of grain dying in order for a crop to come in. He spoke of love of life to the point of losing it, and hating life to the point of keeping it for eternal life. He spoke of following Jesus by service to Him, and His promise to be with those in service. Then, what troubles us, Jesus was troubled; His humanity came through; should He ask that He be spared that which was coming His way: death by crucifixion? The answer was no, "Father, glorify You name."

The heavens spoke, God telling Jesus that He was glorified and would glorify it again. Those nearby hear thunder; some heard an angel. Jesus' response was that this voice was for the disciples and believers sake. The time had come for judgment upon the world; the "ruler of this world will be driven out." Time's up for Satan and his ploys. Jesus is driving out sin and all the ways it manifests itself. The time had come for the fullness of life, through Jesus Christ to find its way into those who would surrender their lives into lives of service in Jesus. The Crucifixion was the key event of that victory.

Has Jesus won in your life?

PRAYER: Loving God, may Jesus have the victory in my life. Drive out that which is in me that should not be; lead me to faithful and joyful obedience. I pray in Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde