Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Obedience of Christ to God

A Model for Our Lives

From Hebrews 5:5-10: So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by the one who said to him, "You are my Son, today I have begotten you"; as he says also in another place, "You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek." In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him, having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

Disobedience is all about me; it is saying to oneself: I know more, and I can make and should make decisions that please only me. Original sin is being born with disobedience. Obedience goes against some natural instincts, but it is a calling to a higher and better life. Obedience defeats pride and ego driven decisions. Obedience seeks to please the One to Whom we ultimately report. Obedience seeks no status other than that that says I obey. Obedience seeks only the title of servant. In this passage, Jesus' life is the model for true obedience. The writer of Hebrews says Christ did not seek any glory or title for Himself. The role and duty of high priest was bestowed upon Him by His Father. And the higher title was that given to Jesus by God, Son. Jesus' life showed that love and obedience to God the Father in serving others, praying for others, even giving Himself up to death to save others. All Jesus did was in obedience to God, and serves as the model for us. Jesus was made perfect and the source of salvation for we who should obey Him.

This passage is all about Jesus and His place in history and in Heaven. There are those who come to believe in the greatness and role of Melchizedek, but the mention of that name serves only in messianic terms. It is a reference to the person and purpose of Jesus; nothing else. The passage is a call for you and me to be more like Jesus, obedient in love towards God in our service to God and those who are God's.

PRAYER: Loving God, speak to my heart, soul, mind, and spirit; I seek to be obedient to You. Help me be like Jesus in my service and in my life. I pray in that precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde