Tuesday, June 26, 2007

DOING THE GOD THING


Good morning dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:
Tuesday: 2 Kings 9, 10, 11These are bloody chapters! What lessons can be learned from them?
The readings for today bring back boyhood memories. As a child I remember reading or having read to me, passages about boy kings and I thought, at the time, that that must have been the world's greatest job. I knew nothing of all the pressures that might accompany such a title, but I thought that of being king might be a nice gig. And the first part of today's readings sound almost humorous, a "drive-by" anointing of Israel's next king. Elisha is ordered by God to anoint Jehu as the new king and so he sends one of the members of the "guild" or "company" of prophets to go and do the anointing. The Message's modern version makes it comical, "get him away from his companions and take him to a back room. Take your flask of oil and pour it over his head and say, 'God's word: I anoint you king over Israel.'" Then get the heck out of Dodge!
The rest of the reading is not so humorous. It was a sad and bloody time in Israel and Judah because of the unfaithfulness of the king. Exactly what God had warned them against becomes the matters that they followed and as a result suffered the consequences of idolatry, unfaithfulness, alienation of affection and attention to the one true God.
What lessons can we learn? Stay true to God even in your leaders are not. What God says is pure; His message is always pure, the messengers and kings or rulers might not always be, but God remains holy and pure. It is our task to follow God and God's Word, not our own interpretation or passion.
As the ruler in your realm of influence, are you being a good "king or queen" or are you less than what God wants you to be?
PRAYER: Loving Father, forgive me for those times I've chosen my own path and desires rather than Yours. Help me to be the best that I can especially around those who depend and learn from me. I ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.