Thursday, June 14, 2007

HOW DO YOU PRAY?


Good day dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:1 Kings 1, 2, 3We are always impressed by Solomon's request for wisdom. But specifically what personal factors are revealed in his prayer in 1 Kings 3:6-9?
There is a lot of drama in the first two chapters of today's reading. And it all leads up to Solomon taking the throne after David. It was not easy nor can we say it was not political, it was. Solomon's mother had to intervene as did priests and prophet. Once he was seated on the throne we see the kind of man Solomon was and desired to be: He was a thankful man, thanking God for allowing him to sit on the throne. He was a caring man, asking for wisdom to know how to best care for for the people of Israel. He was a wise man in asking for wisdom. This version of the Bible, the Message, shows that Solomon desired "a God-listening heart." This passage has always intrigued many for it's really the old, "If you had three wishes and you knew they would be granted (usually by a genie or some such); what would you wish for?" Solomon had God asking him what one wish he wanted, and Solomon chose wisdom. As a result of that God granted him both wealth and glory.
Through prayer we have this "wish" as well. How do you pray and what do you pray for? Do you follow the A.C.T.S. prayer model in your prayers or do you just compose a "to-do list" for God? The ACTS prayer model shows the basis of worshipful prayer: Adoration, you begin by adoring or worshiping God. God is worthy of our praise! The C is for our confession. Talking to God is a good time to let God know that you know what it is that you've done wrong that needs God's forgiveness for your life. The T is for thanksgiving. Notice again how Solomon thanked God for allowing him to be king. What are you thankful for? Have you told God that yet? And the S is Supplication. Here it is where one can tell God what it is that we need. It is also the point in the prayer where we lift up others that we know need God's blessing. And remember, when you say Amen, keep listening! It's God's turn!
PRAYER: Loving and listening God, I thank You for listening to my prayer. I worship You. I thank You for being my God. I praise Your name. I confess that I have not lived up to the standards of being a person worthy of being called Christian, so I repent of my sin and ask You to make me worthy. I thank You for all You always provide. All that I have has come from You. Blessed be Your name. I ask blessing upon blessing for those in my life who need them, especially the sick, the hurting, the dying, the lonely, the troubled, the prisoner, the orphan, the widow and widower. I ask blessings for my life. And I do all this, not by my merits, but by the merits of He who is my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.