Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Don't Be Afraid, For I am With You!

Image from wafm.com

But now, God's Message, the God who made you in the first place, Jacob, the One who got you started, Israel: "Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine. When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end -  Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That's how much you mean to me! That's how much I love you! I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.  "So don't be afraid: I'm with you. I'll round up all your scattered children, pull them in from east and west.  I'll send orders north and south: 'Send them back. Return my sons from distant lands, my daughters from faraway places.  I want them back, every last one who bears my name, every man, woman, and child Whom I created for my glory, yes, personally formed and made each one.'" (Isaiah 43:1-7 The Message)

Happy Wednesday, the 9th of January!  Where has this year gone Friend?  It seemed just like a week ago we were celebrating the start of a New Year!  And for all you resolution-makers, you have three days left to hold onto those resolutions!  Yes, experts (those who don't make them) say most Americans give up on the 12th day of the New Year!  I hope you heard or saw my video on Resolutions versus Revolution.  In it I walk about our resolutions being our Declaration of Independence, then we have to strategize on how to fight the actual battles of say, giving up cigarettes, alcohol, cakes, pies, candy, etc.

In November of 2005, Nellie and I had not seen our daughter Carli for four months.  She was studying abroad in Grenada, Spain.  We had talked about and finally put into action, a trip to London, where Carli would fly in to meet us, we'd spend a few days seeing Jolly Ole England, then fly back to Grenada with her, then back to London for two days, then home.  You can imagine our anticipation of seeing Carli.  Our youngest, Caty, was still at home and she flew with us.  She and Carli are very close and the excitement on her face made the trip so special.  We were reunited at the airport once Carli flew in.  We spend a wonderful time seeing and getting to know London.  Then we flew to Grenada and spent those day in peace.  The difficult part was saying goodbye to our baby at the Grenada airport.  Security was more secure than here.  It was late late at night, Carli rode a bus with us to see us off and then would go home on another bus close to midnight by herself.  Now, she was an adult and had been living there for four months, but parents worry!  It was so hard to hug and kiss her goodbye because we would not see her until May.  There was that point where only the three of us could continue, and Carli had to wait there and just wave to us.  I can't describe the feeling.  We could see her behind the thick glass and then she started her walk towards the bus and away form us.  Dads and Moms know the power of prayer and boy did we employ it!  

The biblical message of God and angels for us humans usually begins with "Don't be afraid."  In this passage, God begins the message to the people through the prophet Isaiah in the same way, "Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.  I've called your name.  You're mine."  Like Israel, we have been set free from our captivity to sin; God knows and calls us by name, and we belong to God.  And then the message gets even more personal:  "When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you," and who among us hasn't found ourselves in such predicaments?  "When you're in rough waters, you will not go down."  Yes, some of us have sailed through some of life's roughest seas, but here we still are, thanks to God!  "When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end - because I am God, your personal God... I paid a huge price for you; all of Egypt... that's how much you mean to me!  That's how much I love you!  I'd sell the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.  So, don't be afraid: I'm with you."  Wow.  The feelings Nellie and I had at that moment in Spain for our daughter Carli, God has for you and me.  The fear that we felt, God has removed and blessed us with strength and peace.  And God's promise is that we shall not be eternally divided from our loved ones nor from Him.  The God who personally formed and made us, loves us and is with us.

PRAYER:  Loving God, guide me through the days of this new year.  Make permanent in my mind the message from today, that You are with me and I should not be afraid.  Lord, You better than anyone know the pressures and demands of my job, family, responsibilities, faith; and these I turn over to You.  Bring healing, joy, peace, calm, and love into me and my loved ones.  Let us be a blessing to You and Yours; this I pray in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Show your faith by showing your peace in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Here is Chapter Four of the study of the Gospel of Mark on youtube.  Please share with those who might need a blessing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAOFAo1kok&t=13s