Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Those Three Friends; Wicked, Bad, & Bully

Image from vectorstock.com

I run for dear life to God, I'll never live to regret it. Do what you do so well: get me out of this mess and up on my feet. Put your ear to the ground and listen, give me space for salvation.  Be a guest room where I can retreat; you said your door was always open! You're my salvation - my vast, granite fortress.  My God, free me from the grip of Wicked, from the clutch of Bad and Bully.  You keep me going when times are tough - my bedrock, God, since my childhood.  I've hung on you from the day of my birth, the day you took me from the cradle; I'll never run out of praise. (Psalm 71: 1-6 The Message)

Happy Wednesday, dear Friend!  May the middle of the work week be a blessing to you who labor hard and to those of us who hardly labor!  May time spent in prayer and devotional thought bring blessings enough to share, especially with those who have none.

We all have them.  Memories or present realities of those who sought nothing more than to make our life difficult.  In elementary school, I may have been bullied, but I don't clearly remember.  I do know that I never had a fight in school during those years.  Heck, I had enough fights at home with my brother!  In junior high, in Houston, I did encounter a bully in my gym class.  He thought it would be cute to come and punch me in the gut while I was taking off my t-shirt.  I don't remember it much but I immediately responded with a series of punches to his stomach and he fell to the floor.  I remember the congratulations from those around me.  In high school, and not in school but at my work, a guy came wanted to fight me, swung a punch towards me, I ducked, lifted him over my shoulders and threw him over some bushes.  Fight over.  Bullying over.  I also had Wicked for a friend.  He seemed to take different forms and shared different offers.  All of what he offered was wickedness.  And Bad, well, he was right besides him; his offers were more like options to the good and right.  And with a smooth delivery of rationalization that could easily convince us all.  You may have those friends still calling.  I do.  But, we have a stronger friend who is righteous, good, and accepting.  You know HIs name, it is Jesus.  Thanks to my parents, my pastors, and experiences in church, I came to know and trust Him.  His offers and options were and still are the best.

David, though this psalm is in modern English, knew those three friends as well. And, thankfully he also knew the Lord and what the Lord offered.  A ready, strong friend with strength to deliver and make right all situations.  I love the image of "Be a guest room where I can retreat; you said your door was always open!  You're my salvation - my vast, granite fortress.  And the Lord answered prayers when David called to ask to be free of the grip of these pesky friends.  He knew that he, and we, can hang on to God every single day, and we won't be let down.

Your friends may be hounding you more than ever; now more than ever share that with God.  Wicked presents us with options that we know are not of God - resist and reject him.  Bad is right there next to Wicked; laugh at him and walk away.  And Bully, well he may now take the form of physical ailments which make getting around a bit more difficult, or drains us of our enthusiasm.  Pray, and trust God to share with you what you need.  What a friend we have in Jesus!

PRAYER:  Loving God, we cry out to you for the little ones in our midst.  For some going to school presents them with classmates that fall under the categories of today's lesson.  Free ours from the grips of Wicked, Bad, and Bully.  And bless those three to find new ways to live.  Keep all children safe.  Bless this dear reader and his/her needs.  We love You and thank You for being there for us.  We pray in faith in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be one of the good friends to someone today. Go the extra mile to be Righteous, Good, and Accepting!

Eradio Valverde

Here is my study on Mark for you to view or share.  Forward this video and this email to others who may need a blessing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beuda_B0wWc&t=9s