Friday, January 25, 2019

God's Name

Image from biblia.com

But Moses said to God, ‘If I come to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your ancestors has sent me to you”, and they ask me, “What is his name?” what shall I say to them?’ God said to Moses, ‘I am who I am.’ He said further, ‘Thus you shall say to the Israelites, “I am has sent me to you.” ’ God also said to Moses, ‘Thus you shall say to the Israelites, “The Lord, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you”: This is my name for ever, and this my title for all generations. Go and assemble the elders of Israel, and say to them, “The Lord, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, has appeared to me, saying: I have given heed to you and to what has been done to you in Egypt. I declare that I will bring you up out of the misery of Egypt, to the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, a land flowing with milk and honey.” (Exodus 3:13-17)

Happy Fabulous Friday, dear Friend!  I pray wonderful and special blessings come to you on this day and throughout the weekend.  Share those with all!

The movies have had fun with God's name.  I can remember the scenes, but can't remember the movie! (Don't get old!)  There was one where two Vietnam vets were talking about God and God's name, and one of them said, "It's Howard!"  "Howard?" asked the other guy?  "Yes, as in 'Our Father who art in Heaven, Howard be thy name!"  And the other was when a girl said to the other, "God's name is Andy!"  "Andy?"  "Yes, as in the song we sing, "Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me..."  Okay, I didn't write those.  Growing up I remember learning this about God's name in Sunday school and later hearing Popeye say in his cartoons, "I am what I says I am."  And pondering that.

Moses pondered his invitation to leave his father-in-law's cushy job to become the deliverer of God's people. He rightly asked, "Who should I say is sending me?"  And rightly so.  Knowing the right name will get you in the door, or out of trouble.  It's the basic law of Sales 101 - Know the name of the person who does the buying!  Moses knew to ask, "What will I say if they ask Your name?"  God replied, "I am who I am."  Some address that as YHWH or with vowels, Yahweh.  Others still address God as Jehovah.  It's a name of power and presence.  And like His being, it simply states God is - no beginning, no end; and if you come to know God, you will find that is true.  God has always been and will always be.  Our limited finite minds tend to want to place beginning and ends on all things; but not God.  God has always been.  And applying that to us, God is always there for us.  Our lives may have had a beginning and an end will one day come for this human way of thinking, but God's promises of life beyond this one is a life with no end, lived in God's presence.

Are you worried about something?  Guess what?  It has an end, and it may even be in sight!  For now, we seek the peace of the presence of the Lord to be with us.  And God grants it as we deal with the things that can overwhelm us.  My little granddaughter once, wanting me to ride in the same car with her, as she was being strapped into her car seat said in a very loving cute way, "Are you with me, Grandpa?"  Yes, darling, I am here."  Listen.  God is saying the same thing to you.

PRAYER:  Loving God, we know Your name, but more importantly, we know You!  You know us by name, and by need, so speak the words we need to see us through.  We pray loving God, for those who are stressed by things beyond their control; we pray for the government workers who today miss a second paycheck and are facing the stress of groceries needed, rent or mortgage payments; bless them and guide our leaders to come to a solution.  Help us to help them and others.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Seek to remind others of God's name and power today.

Eradio Valverde

Friends, yesterday's link for the book Long Story Short was for a Kindle version only.  If you want the paperback copy, go to www.seedbed.org and search for it there.  Thanks!