Wednesday, January 16, 2019

A Brand New Name!

Image from hcfcornwall.ca

For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent, and for Jerusalem’s sake I will not rest, until her vindication shines out like the dawn, and her salvation like a burning torch. The nations shall see your vindication, and all the kings your glory; and you shall be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will give. You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God. You shall no more be termed Forsaken, and your land shall no more be termed Desolate; but you shall be called My Delight Is in Her, and your land Married; for the Lord delights in you, and your land shall be married. For as a young man marries a young woman, so shall your builder marry you, and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you. (Isaiah 62:1-5)

May the Lord's blessings for this Wednesday exceed your expectations; and may our response to them exceed God's expectations of us, dear Friend!  As we gather, may it be a time of prayer for one another, for needs known and unknown.  Since this week's lectionary texts all relate back to the marriage theme of Jesus' presence at Cana of Galilee, may we especially pray for those we know who are married - that God may strengthen all marriages; that those facing challenges and worries about relationships may find in God answers for today and tomorrow.  May the victory of Christ's peace in our lives carry us onward and upward!

As I read this morning's text I thought back to Nellie and my wedding.  Being in our mid-20s, we were very excited to have found each other through, we believe, God's guiding hand.  I was almost in disbelief.  Just yesterday we spoke lovingly about my paternal grandmother, and how she lived long enough, as were her prayers, to see the milestones in my life.  She wanted to see me graduate from high school, then to graduate from college.  She even lived long enough to see me married, which I suspect was a great fear for her.  I have mentioned that she asked me, often too many times, about the girls in my church, and if I found any of them attractive enough to date.  She lived long enough to know three of our girls.  As our marriage approached we were aware of one of us getting a new name.  It was her choice, to take my last name in marriage; but as the day drew closer, I realized I was getting a new name as well; husband.  I still couldn't believe that soon I would be able to say, "This is my wife," or "I'm her husband."  I loved the idea and even today, love the name!  

Out of the journey of relationships with joys and disappointments, it became apparent who would be the one to share the new name with.  And the same was true of God's chosen, Israel.  Though she was rebellious and unfaithful to God, God's love for her never failed.  And the prophet proclaimed that a new name was coming right from God's mouth for this new relationship; the names Forsaken and Desolate would become "My Delight Is in Her."  A new name for a new creation.  We still receive new names upon our salvation, from Lost to Found In the Lord; from feeling unloved to This is My Beloved; from being Wanderer to Path Finder and Path Follower.  And these are names we should carry proudly by the way we live our lives.  From Rejected to Accepted and Blessed, what name will you show off today?

PRAYER:  Loving god, bless those who read this who are in need, especially those having relationship issues and challenges.  Strengthen our faith and our walk with You.  Let us accept and assume the new names we have received from You that show Your love for us and that will invite others to receive it for their lives.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Lover of God should be our name for today and all days!

Eradio Valverde