Thursday, May 10, 2007

CROSSING THE THRESHOLD


Good day dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:Thursday: Joshua 1, 2, 3What connection do you see between the miracle of crossing the Jordan River and the crossing, a generation earlier, at the Red Sea?
I don't know how similar this is to the question today, but I clearly remember the joy of being finally alone with my wife on our wedding day. We checked into our hotel and made our way to the honeymoon suite. In those days, the old hotel in McAllen had two twin towers, each a three-floor honey suite; the first floor was the entrance area, a spiral staircase led to the bedroom, and up to a sitting room on the third floor. I picked Nellie up and carried her up the spiral staircase to our bedroom. I did that again when we first moved into our apartment in Dallas, and then at each subsequent parsonage. It's a reminder that we're in this together.
God reminds the people of Israel of this by working an identical miracle over water. As God led them out of Egypt he dried up the Red Sea to allow them to escape and now forty years later as God leads them into the promised land, he dries up a part of the Jordan River to allow them to cross into Canaan. It's a reminder, we're in this together. God saying, "I'm carrying you just as I have for these past forty years." It was a renewal of sorts for those who had not seen the miracle at the Red Sea; God has power over all things even nature, to make possible all things, including our taking over this land.
When has God NOT carried you? Do you remember times in your life where God stopped something or did something that just shouted to you: "I'm with you, don't be afraid!"? I pray we never forget even the small things that God does that reminds us of just how wonderful He is with us and for us. May we never cease to marvel at God's love present and active in our lives.
PRAYER: Loving God of major and minor miracles, thank you. Help me to always see Your strong and loving hand at work in my life. Part the waters of difficulty or stress that I may face today, so that through whatever it is that I have to face I will see clearly that which is Yours for me. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.