Wednesday, May 09, 2007

HAPPY WHERE YOU ARE?

Good day dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:Wednesday: Deuteronomy 33, 34Why would Moses bless the tribes individually instead of simply blessing the nation as a whole?
I don't know why but the thought of my graduation from seminary came to mind. Why in the world would commencement exercises be on my mind? Oh, I don't know --- could it be that Carli graduates from Texas Lutheran University this weekend??
I graduated from Southern Methodist University's Perkins School of Theology. Our commencement began in Moody Coliseum with all the undergraduates and graduates from the different schools present in one place. It was quite an impressive sight. SMU is a huge school! At that one big commencement, we saw we were all part of one school. We dismissed and then each school made its way to a designated place where the degrees would be conferred. The seminary made its way to the chapel. Hmmm. There we were called by name and received our degrees, most of us The Master of Theology degree.
That made the graduation more personal and involved. I suspect Moses had the same in mind. I cannot help but think that Moses also kept a bit of history in mind as he conferred the blessing, for they don't all sound like wonderful blessings, but they were personalized towards the character of the tribe. Each tribe was known for its character and ability to serve and each was different from the rest, but they were all part of the one big family of Israel.
What is your family known for? If you come from a big family, does your family or do you as an individual stick out by character and ability? Is it a character and ability to be proud of or do you need to improve your standing in the family? The good news for all who believe in God is that God won't leave you where you're at if you're not happy there. Ask God to change you for the better!
PRAYER: God of strength and might, I pray for my standing with You and Yours to be better today than it has ever been. Let me be the person You want me to be. Help me to leave behind those things that have hurt and harmed me. Help me to overcome the things that kill, steal or destroy, and place me on the path to the fullness of life. I pray in the Name of He who can, Jesus my Lord, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.