Wednesday, May 02, 2007

LIVE AND LET LIVE?


Good day dear friends.
Here is our study guide for today:Wednesday: Deuteronomy 12, 13, 14How do we maintain integrity of faith in a pluralistic culture?
In the second letter to Timothy, Paul writes, "But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me." In the same way, our integrity of faith begins when we affirm and stand on who we are in faith. We respect the right of others to their faith, and we expect the same respect from others towards ours. As we learn about other's faiths we should learn more and live ours more. This is the day when others are stepping boldly out in their faith and not hiding the fact they're proud of being who they are. We have Hollywood actors stating their belief in Scientology, a "religion" started by a science fiction writer. We have Wiccans, an "earth-based" faith, demanding their symbol on US soldiers' tombstones who have marked that as their faith. We hear more and more about the Muslim faith, PBS recently ran a mini-series on the Mormons, etc., etc., etc.
Do you know in Whom you have believed? Is your faith in Jesus Christ strong enough to withstand questions of personal doubt or wonder about other faiths? The passages from today were in a different cultural climate and God knew the temptations that would come as a result. The faiths of those who inhabited the promised land before Israel came in to claim it, were based on fertility rites and promoted sex heavily as a part of their worship. God knew this might be too attractive to the Israelites and warns them against these practices. God's idea of tolerance then was to remove the temptation all together from their land. While we may not accept or understand that, God's commands made sense in that time and place.
What do you do to protect yourself, your family, and others important in your life? What are you doing to strengthen your faith? What actions, thoughts and words reinforce to others in your immediate circle of loved ones and friends that show you are a person of deep Christian faith?
PRAYER: Loving God, let me truly know in Whom I believe. Make my faith in Jesus Christ more real today than ever. Let me be able to share my faith in my actions. May the love you've placed in my heart reflect a love I have for everyone. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.