Tuesday, July 28, 2009

CRAZY LOVE: MORE ON LEFTOVERS


Great God of all people, bless and protect this dear reader in all that she or he may need today. Bless and protect those who will be attending our second day of Vacation Bible School. May your Name be praised by what our kids will learn about Experiencing and Discovering You Everyday (EDGE). In Christ Jesus' name, amen.

We were blessed with about seventy-five children yesterday at our first day of Vacation Bible school. What a neat time and a great age to be alive! I helped greet folks and stood behind our registration tables to talk with children and we saw those who could barely contain themselves in being there to one little boy whose frown gave him away. "Are you excited about being here?" I asked, knowing full well his response. "No, " he replied quite sadly, "I don't like going anywhere." His mom smiled and said, "That's the way you always are at first, then by the time I come to get you, you won't want to leave!" I told the young man I didn't like leaving home either. This is a great age of those who experience and enjoy life as Jesus said we should, like children. There's a wonder (in most kids and some adults) about life and God, and the things of God. There's a willingness to not hold back and speak the truth and once learned and mastered, to share all one has with God and others. Our daughter works in a child care facility of her church and we were talking Sunday afternoon and she said, "Dad, I've discovered that little girls don't like to share." She is the mother of our 9-month old grandson and his interaction with little girls (at this point of his life) is that little girls, at least a bit older than he, know the word, "Mine!" and will not share. "That will change soon," I assured my daughter.

When did we lose that wonder about God and God's wonderful world and God's wonderful people? It might have been when we discovered that some people never got to the sharing stage of life; it stayed a matter of "Mine" versus "Would you like some?" Pastors will tell you we see more than we would like in church matters. These are the ones who will, without feeling a drop of guilt or remorse, share what's convenient and left over in their lives, with God. No time for prayer. Too busy to go to church! If I don't enjoy the summer, I never will. Etc. and etc. Children of God know the important things and how to make time for them. I've yet to hear a child say, "I'm too busy" unless they've learned that from Mom or Dad. May our prayer be that they will learn about sharing and giving, and not just with them and their family, but with God and God's entire family.

Jesus encountered a well-mannered and well-raised son. This son inherited a fortune and position for himself. The young man was also blessed with intelligence and so he knew that one important thing was lacking in his life; eternal life. He knew that life was too short to end here and when he heard of this traveling preacher named Jesus, he approached him and asked him all about eternal life. Jesus shared with him about the commandments and how important they are for living life, and this young man replied he had kept those from boyhood. Jesus knew the core of this young man's being and so he said, "You lack one thing. Go and sell all that you have and give it to the poor..." I don't think the young man heard any more beyond that. He loved his wealth and position too much to care about the poor, honestly, about others. He went away sad. How many choose to be happy in this life without caring much about the next life or while on this earth, to care about those who don't have enough. Did he learn that from Mom or Dad?

PRAYER: Dear Father, Your instructions are the essence of life and a life lived in abundance. May I seek to learn more about You and others as I go through what is expected of me today. May I go beyond that and come to know where the needs are, and how I can be child-like in sharing and giving. Let me not worry about myself more than is necessary, but about what can truly bless You. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde