Monday, July 06, 2009

STOP PRAYING!


Blessed Father, be with and bless this dear reader with whatever they may face today. In Christ Jesus' Name, amen.

A new seven-Sunday sermon series started yesterday. It's based on the book by Francis Chan, "Crazy Love." We've given the congregation an opportunity to order and be involved in reading and sharing through small groups or Sunday school, whatever it is they receive from reading the book. The book's intent is to stress how "crazy" it is to be loved by God. It makes little to no sense in human terms, that we, as small as we are compared to God, would be loved by God in the awesome and yes, crazy ways that He does. It also frankly addresses the problem with our response to that love. The tradition way has been to "go to church, sing some songs, and try not to cuss." There's way more to responding to God's love than that!

The sermon yesterday was called, "Stop Praying." I had people turn to their neighbors and say (and receive) that with and to each other. I said, "I know for some of you this is a frightening thought to say, for others, a scary thing to receive, and for others, 'Ah, no big deal-I don't pray anyway!'" The looks on each face gave it away! But here's the deal: We talk to, yell and shout at God most times that we pray. We have a great, and we believe, divine, to-do list to share with God. We leave it in God's hands and off we go with the "I'll check on this list tomorrow! Get busy!" That's not praying. Prayer involves knowing who God is, it involves our willingness to listen and look for God after we say our "Amens." This involves our slowing down and pulling away from who we have become. We're a techno-savvy culture that prefers tweeting and texting rather than community. I had to confess the other day Nellie and I were in a restaurant and we were both texting our kids when the waitress came up and asked if we were texting each other! Oops. No. I much prefer the loving face of my lovely bride than the dumb keyboard of my phone. With all the time saving gadgets we've created, we have a ready excuse for everything, "I got so busy" or "I just don't have time!"

Take time today to listen and look for God more than usual. See the wonder and beauty of creation with a renewed awe for what God has done, is doing and can do. Smell the flowers. Imagine the work it took to bring forth such beauty for us, and not only that the incredible role flowers play in our staying alive! See the flight of birds as a choreographed dance in air made possible by God's design. Listen to what God may be saying to you as you face the challenges and worries of your life. Hear above all, that God is with you and has not left you. Remember the power of God to see you through whatever it is you think is impossible.

PRAYER: Loving God, let me stop praying today. I mean in the ways that I've come to call prayer. I want to hear from You and learn from You and be blessed by You. I want to listen and look more closely at the ways You have shared to remind me that I am Yours and You are mine. I pray this in the Name of He who came to show more of Your love for me, Jesus Christ. And after I say amen, let that be my signal to listen and look to see what more You have to say to me. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde