Friday, July 31, 2009

PRAYER OF THE SELFISH


THE PRAYER OF THE SELFISH

Dear God, it's all about me. Let this day serve to serve me and me only. Let this day be served piping hot right before me, on a platter of wealth.

Let all that this day holds, be just for me. I pray that all would fall right into place, with nothing out of sorts or out of order. Let the ordering be as I want and nothing less.

I want the temperature to reflect my comfort and my needs. I pray the car start the first time, and that the gas in it last the entire day. I want my refrigerator to work as it should, and while you're at it, let it be filled with the delights of my palate.

That part about "on earth as it is in Heaven" I like that, but only in terms of my being able to walk on the streets of gold and if I cant' walk on it, let it fill my pockets. And yes, may my pockets not have holes. Strengthen them to hold all that you are going to give me today.

Let my stomach be filled as I wish, with things that I wish. May the routes of my travels today take me to pleasing places. May each intersection be free of those who remind me of those with less.

Let the temptations of today be delightful, and let me choose,truly choose, that which is pleasing and pleasant and good just for me.

I pray all this in my name.



After our discussions on Leftovers and God's crazy love for us, it would seem silly that someone would pray such a prayer, but you know, I sometimes do, as do you. We tend to want to stay in our comfort zone and away from those who make our thoughts and lives uncomfortable. May God deliver us from such thoughts and make us newly aware again of His great, unexplainable, undeserved love.

As we pray please be mindful of those who have asked prayer from us. Iask you please add my son-in-law, Eric Cortez, to your thoughts and prayers. He faces a health concern from an incident experienced during the arrest of a homeless person. Pray that Eric be well and fine after this.

Here's our "real" prayer: Loving God, how easy it is to be centered on ourselves. I confess that parts of the above prayer, silly as it may seem, are some of the thoughts and desires I have for my life. May the needs and realities of others become my focal point of my ministry for You as from the day of my baptism I have been or should have been, in ministry for You with Your people. Grant me boldness, strength, courage, grace, compassion and love to serve You and Yours. It is, after all, not about me, but about You. Worthy is Thy Name. In Jesus' Name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day today!

Eradio Valverde