Tuesday, July 07, 2009

GOD IS HOLY!


Holy God, pour out a rich blessing on the needs of this dear reader. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

The Bible tells us of God's holiness. Moses when called by God has to remove his shoes for he was standing on holy ground (Ex 3). Moses feared to look at God because the thought was that if a human looked at God, that person would die. Moses asked what he knew he needed to know before going before Pharoah, "What is your name?" It was necessary because Moses needed to know just who had sent him on that seemingly suicidal mission of asking Pharoah to release God's people. "I am who I am," is God's response. Dynamic and active is the Lord God! It is a statement of being, of eternity, of a neverending sense of holiness that we cannot begin to understand with our limited minds. God is. It states that God has always been and always will be. Later, Isaiah sees this in chapter 6 of the book with his name, "1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. 2 Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. 3 And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory." 4 The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. 5 And I said: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!" Isaiah recognized that this sad death of a beloved king, Uzziah, was nothing compared to the existence of the True King, GOD, who was seated on a throne. The throne was unlike the one Uzziah had used, and the court was nothing like the king's court in Jerusalem. This court was filled with smoke and the attendants in the presence of this king were seraphs, six-winged angels whose only cry was to say that God was, "Holy, holy, holy." Three times the word is used to emphasize the holiness of God.

Recognizing that God is holy helps us in our prayers to God. We pale in comparision to God. God is holy, we're not; but we need to be in the presence of the Holy One each day as a reminder of who we can be, indeed, who we're called to be.

PRAYER: Loving God, holy God, as I pray today, I recognize my need to be holy in Your presence and in my dealings with all. Let my life reflect the desire I have to be like You. I seek to be holy and I seek to be made perfect in love in this life, by Your power and mercy. I pray this in Jesus Christ's precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde