Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3-D FEAR OF GOD?


God of the ages, bless the needs in the life of this dear reader today. Give them victory and healing in all aspects as Your will says; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text comes from another favorite Bible verse: Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

I'm not a fan of scary movies. I've tried through the years to make myself sit through them. A very long time ago in Kingsville, Disney had an early attempt at 3-D in a movie they called "Thirteen Ghosts." The movie was normal until that point when the screen would flash, "Put on Glasses Now!" And if you put on the glasses you could see the ghosts. I tried. But the screams of the girls in the theatre along with some of the guys were motivation enough not to try on the glasses! I saw the ghosts and then dreamed them for a week. Even now in their mature years, my girls are the same way. They, unlike Dad, love scary movies and have their own way of coping with the memories for days afterward.

To me that was fear and when I first heard we must "fear" the Lord I looked for the 3-D glasses. Was I supposed to be scared of God? I was when I did something wrong or bad. But it wasn't until years later someone explained "fear" in the right context. The fear of the Lord is that respect with honor that places God in the right place in our lives. I like that kind of fear better than the 3-D kind or the white-knuckled hold on a roller coaster car railing. The Bible says in today's verse that when we achieve that type of respect for God we stand on the threshold of a great journey of knowledge. God's presence will guide and bless us to deeper and more wonderful understandings of God's plan and purpose for our lives and those around us. Those who can't share the throne of their heart with God never leave the starting gate and sometimes can't even find that! But once they do and once we have, God takes our hearts, minds, and spirits to new, splendid places of love, hope, and faith. Those who cannot share their lives with God, well, the Bible calls them "fools" and we know what they're missing out on. Pray for them and for us. May we never leave that place.

PRAYER: Loving God, let me share my heart with You today. I honor You and place You in my heart and Lord and King. Bless me and guide me to deeper understandings of Who You are and who I need to be. Let me share in that wonderful journey of learning more and serving more. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde