Tuesday, March 16, 2010

HEART TROUBLE?


God of light, break through any darkness this dear reader may be facing; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Psalm 51:10 has this beautiful words: 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.

It was several years ago, my favorite uncle died. And he really wasn't my uncle, he was my dad's uncle, but we saw and called him, "Tio." What made his death very touching was what he said to his wife right before he died, "My heart may not be working right, but it will always be yours." I know he died in M. D. Anderson Hospital for he was battling cancer but ultimately his heart gave out. Medically, it just stopped. But really, what can stop the heart from doing what it does best, pumping out love for God and for God's people? Ancient humans attributed the connection between love and thoughts to the heart. A racing heart during a sweet encounter with a loved one or the heartache of losing a loved one, all good reasons to believe that love comes from the heart. And a red heart works so much better on greeting cards than a gray brain!

David's heart had been in the wrong place. David had been in the wrong place. David was in the wrong. This Psalm is attributed to his confession and contrition before God after Nathan the prophet shared with him God's thoughts about where he had been and what he had done. David knew the only place he could get a "clean heart" was in God. God as creator can and would restore in David, like God can in us, to the place where our hearts should be. That was step one. The second step, David knows, is for our spirit to be made right and not only right, but new! As God only can, God can "put a new and right spirit within" us. David knew that his heart and spirit had to be made right before and by God. Once that was in place, David had his second chance at a life that pleases and serves God.

PRAYER: Loving God, I want what David got; a clean heart and a new and right spirit. Let me today use those for Your honor and glory. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde