Tuesday, March 02, 2010

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT/PRAYER REQUEST AND A LOOK AT PSALM 23

Gracious God of new opportunities, as this dear reader face a new day may it be filled with new opportunities to shine brightly the light of Christ; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.
Dear friends,
I ask that you join Nellie and me in prayer over a very humbling and honored opportunity given to me by our bishop, Bishop James Dorff of the Southwest Texas Conference. He has appointed me, effective June 1, 2010, to be the district superintendent of the Corpus Christi District. It was an appointment that I did not expect and with God's help I have accepted, hoping to do the best that I can for the Lord and His Church. I am saddened by the thought of having to leave dear friends here in my present appointment, but thankful for the opportunity to have served with them and you in this setting. I have announced to the SPRC (Staff-Parish Relations Committee) that I will continue to work as hard if not harder during the time I have left here with them, asking their prayers and understanding that starting Wednesday I must also attend Cabinet meeting as an observer. A formal announcement will be made by our SPRC Chair, Mrs. Carol Hale Traylor this Sunday in all our worship services. I ask prayers for her and the committee as they will work with our DS, Rev. Larry Howard in the setting of a new appointment for senior pastor here at First UMC-Harlingen. This is a great church, one in which I was honored to serve as senior pastor during their Centennial Celebration. May God continue to bless this wonderful church, leading her faithfully to the new 100 years of her life. Please also be in prayer for the people and pastors that make up the Corpus Christi District. They have been shepherded faithfully by my dear colleague in ministry, The Rev. Barbara Ruth. She leaves the district to return to the local church as Co-Pastor with her husband, The Rev. John Wright, of First UMC-Austin. My thanks to you in advance for your prayers.
This morning I think we should look at a Psalm we think we know so well that we forget some of the wonder found within its verses: Psalm 23:
This is NRSV: 1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; 3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.
This is King James, the one many of us learned as children:
1 The LORD is my shepherd ; I shall not want . 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies : thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever .
And this is The Message, the sometimes radically different new version:
1 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. 2 You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. 3 True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. 4 Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure. 5 You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing. 6 Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.
What do you think? Did you read all three slowly and carefully? The first two are almost identical, both powerful and comforting. There are promises and peace in each verse; there are affirmations of deep faith that we should possess and there is a calm about the day, each day, knowing that God is with us. There is an awareness of God's creation all around us and the blessed purpose that it serves for us. There is the reality of life with its starts and ends, the highs and the lows; the conviction that God is certainly with us even as we face some of the toughest things we never dreamed we would. And then there is the warm feeling of home and rest in the eternal presence, available now, of our Lord.
PRAYER: Loving God for Your precious words we are indebted. May the words of this well-known Psalm be even more well known as we move forward with the challenges of today. May I claim each word for my life and the needs I may face today. May I have peace and comfort, and may I rejoice in Your promises. I pray this, praising You and thanking You, in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.
Eradio Valverde